Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monte Carlo SS transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo SS transmission noise

Hi Guys first post. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS which I really like. I bought it about a month and a half ago. The transmission makes a grinding noise when shifting sometimes. If I am going about 25 to 40 mph and give it gas when it shifts it makes a grinding noise. Kind of like if you took your hand and rubbed it on a leather chair. I was disappointment once I bought the car that there is so many people having trouble with transmissions and and the engine problems. It sounds like many people are recommending having the DOD turned off to for go oil issues and engine damage.

How many people have had the same transmission problem?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Great purchase! Unfortunately, the transmissions are the weak link... However, if you keep the trans fluid and screen serviced, every 30k, the trans will hold up; at least this is what i was told by a friend who works at chevrolet service department. (AFTER my transmission went out and was being replaced)! When you think about it, it's a small price to pay; it works out to be about once every other year? As for the oil consumption, GM has figured out what the problem is. The fix will be avaliable soon. Keep tabs on your oil consumption and let the dealer know; they'll take care of it and you wont have the problem anymore. They know exatly why our motors are using the oil. Plus, even if you did turn of the DOD, why shouldn't you be able to benefit from the DOD design when you decide to travel; you sure paid for it? (I drove from Detroit to California for just under $300.00, running premium all the way; this was when Gas was nearly $5/gal)! The DOD does wonders on LONG trips... otherwise I don't think it really saves that much? Overall, the car is very dependable; that 5.3 is strong and durable!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking on the internet for companies that rebuild the transmissions in these cars so I will last for a long time. I came across this company and have an email in to them. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/alto_2.htm

The fluid in my transmission looks so clean that it may have been recently changed but I am not sure.

The issue with the DOD and oil comsumpsion, I wonder what the dealership is going to charge for that. My car is not under warranty and has 52,000.

Does anyone think that having the transmission reprogramed/tuned could fix this issue? It was something mentioned to my by buddy of mine.

Last edited by nat120; 02-17-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Originally Posted by 06LS4
Great purchase! Unfortunately, the transmissions are the weak link... However, if you keep the trans fluid and screen serviced, every 30k, the trans will hold up; at least this is what i was told by a friend who works at chevrolet service department. (AFTER my transmission went out and was being replaced)! When you think about it, it's a small price to pay; it works out to be about once every other year? As for the oil consumption, GM has figured out what the problem is. The fix will be avaliable soon. Keep tabs on your oil consumption and let the dealer know; they'll take care of it and you wont have the problem anymore. They know exatly why our motors are using the oil. Plus, even if you did turn of the DOD, why shouldn't you be able to benefit from the DOD design when you decide to travel; you sure paid for it? (I drove from Detroit to California for just under $300.00, running premium all the way; this was when Gas was nearly $5/gal)! The DOD does wonders on LONG trips... otherwise I don't think it really saves that much? Overall, the car is very dependable; that 5.3 is strong and durable!

I'm a newbie with an 06 SS, any tips for using the DOD, all I do is let off the gas to activate 4 cylinder mode,is there anything else I should try other than this method? I tried using cruise control but it stayed on 8 cylinders. Any tips would help.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by nat120
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking on the internet for companies that rebuild the transmissions in these cars so I will last for a long time. I came across this company and have an email in to them. PATC 4T65E Performance Transmission, 4T65E and 4T45E Parts

The fluid in my transmission looks so clean that it may have been recently changed but I am not sure.

The issue with the DOD and oil comsumpsion, I wonder what the dealership is going to charge for that. My car is not under warranty and has 52,000.

Does anyone think that having the transmission reprogramed/tuned could fix this issue? It was something mentioned to my by buddy of mine.
im also curious about the reprogramming or tuning?
maybe a new chip?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Sounds like the torque managemant kicking in... same noise as the traction control? I bet your wheels were turned? if you accelerate hard with wheels turned, the torque management kicks in to prevent you from breaking the CV shafts. did it take away fueling and sputter?