Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 2006 Monte Carlo SS Squeak noise while in park and accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo SS Squeak noise while in park and accelerating

So I recently bought my 2006 SS with 57800 Miles on it.
It ran great when I test drove it from the Chevy dealership but now....

In the morning I notice that when I start it I hear a squeek/whistling noise like the belt or something. Its very much rhythmic when idle.

Then when I accelerate the rate of the noise increases.

I commute and after about 15 miles or so the noise goes away.

The car runs fine it just makes this annoying noise the first 15 miles or so of my drive each day.

I took it to my mechanic who is big into chevy and american muscle but the problem is he is about 25 miles away. So he doesn't get a chance to hear the noise and can't diagnose it as anything.

Can anyone help? Why does it go away eventually? Could it be a belt or a gasket leak? Why would it stop?

Thanks for any feed back!

Love my SS by the way. Just want this annoying high pitch squeal to go away.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM

It's just the belt. It's getting old and brittle. When it's cold it's smaller and tighter, and the little ridges it develops as it wears out makes a noise. When you drive the car, heat expands the belt a bit and the noise will dissipate.

Just head to an auto parts store and pick up a new serpentine belt. But after you buy a new belt and replace this one, keep the old one in the trunk. In the event your belt ever does snap on you, you'll have a backup to tide you over to get somewhere to get a new one. Especially since the belt spins the water pump and power steering.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
It's just the belt. It's getting old and brittle. When it's cold it's smaller and tighter, and the little ridges it develops as it wears out makes a noise. When you drive the car, heat expands the belt a bit and the noise will dissipate.

Just head to an auto parts store and pick up a new serpentine belt. But after you buy a new belt and replace this one, keep the old one in the trunk. In the event your belt ever does snap on you, you'll have a backup to tide you over to get somewhere to get a new one. Especially since the belt spins the water pump and power steering.
Thanks Mike! I had a feeling it was the belt. I love cars, but have not really worked on any much and my knowledge of repair is limited.

Thank you so much for your input. I originally thought thats what it was and you just confirmed.

Have a great day. Ill let you know how it goes!

-Conrad

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by SanJoseSS
So I recently bought my 2006 SS with 57800 Miles on it.
It ran great when I test drove it from the Chevy dealership but now....

In the morning I notice that when I start it I hear a squeek/whistling noise like the belt or something. Its very much rhythmic when idle.

Then when I accelerate the rate of the noise increases.

I commute and after about 15 miles or so the noise goes away.

The car runs fine it just makes this annoying noise the first 15 miles or so of my drive each day.

I took it to my mechanic who is big into chevy and american muscle but the problem is he is about 25 miles away. So he doesn't get a chance to hear the noise and can't diagnose it as anything.

Can anyone help? Why does it go away eventually? Could it be a belt or a gasket leak? Why would it stop?

Thanks for any feed back!

Love my SS by the way. Just want this annoying high pitch squeal to go away.
The belt, and/or the tensioner, or both, unless it is the brake warning squealer. How many miles do you have on the original equipment?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrandPaDave
The belt, and/or the tensioner, or both, unless it is the brake warning squealer. How many miles do you have on the original equipment?
I bought it with 57800. I now have 58400. I believe all original parts as I bought this used and not certified at a dealership with no warranty.

I bought the extended warranty, but no parts have been replaced.
I just had it aligned and my mechanic said the transmission fluid was oddly old looking/smelling so he replaced that as well.

Also need to get my heat door actuators fixed as my A/C is clunking on me.

Was kind of pissed they sold it to me like this after they swear it costs extra money to make it considered "certified" but passed there 100 some odd point inspection!

I hate car dealerships!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SanJoseSS
I bought it with 57800. I now have 58400. I believe all original parts as I bought this used and not certified at a dealership with no warranty.

I bought the extended warranty, but no parts have been replaced.
I just had it aligned and my mechanic said the transmission fluid was oddly old looking/smelling so he replaced that as well.

Also need to get my heat door actuators fixed as my A/C is clunking on me.

Was kind of pissed they sold it to me like this after they swear it costs extra money to make it considered "certified" but passed there 100 some odd point inspection!

I hate car dealerships!
If your have the GMPP EW, let them fix it. If you are far from a dealer, the GMPP will alot $25 a day for a rental.

If you don't have the GMPP, you will have to contact the agent of your particular EW.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Idler pulley.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Idler pulley.
I believe that the idler and the tensioner refer to the same part.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrandPaDave
I believe that the idler and the tensioner refer to the same part.
And it would be the idler pulley/tensioner that would stop making noise after 15 minutes of driving or so.

Not the serpentine belt?!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Is it a squeak or a chatter? On my Monte Carlo it would squeak, replacing the belt fixed it. On my Silverado, the tensioner would rock back and forth a bit and make a chattering sound, from metal rubbing the parts behind it.

If you have a can of that serpentine belt stuff in a can that you spray on a squealing belt, hit it with that and if it stops for a bit, you know its the belt. Although that stuff isn't recommended to be used much as it'll actually wear the belt down.

The way I look at it though, at almost 60k the belt is rubber and is probably ready for a change anyways. Plus it's quicker and cheaper than the tensioner to replace. So might as well try that first.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): 2006 Monte Carlo SS Squeak noise while in park and accelerating