Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2005 Monte Carlo LS V6 HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 05:42 PM
Default 2005 Monte Carlo LS V6 HELP!!!

NEED HELP!!!!

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo V6, with some issues.

THE ISSUE: the Car shuts off randomly whether its idling or on highway, it might run for an hour or so (if lucky) but then engine shuts down, and afterwards it has a hard re-start if at all sometimes. Brand new fuel pump, battery, starter, camshaft and crankshaft sensor. I did notice there are two fuses that keep blowing immediately upon re-place ("TRK/ROOF BRP", "REAR PRK LP") so far the only troubleshooting I tried suggests a potential short in the system (Unsure if it is causing the car to shut down) but definitely has no running tail lights as well as popping the fuse if the headlight switch gets turned to "Dome". As far as the short goes I might've traced it to the stereo plug (shown in pictures) which has a frayed ground wire that seems to have continuity running from it to each fuse location which tells me they're crossed somewhere yet there is no sign of any breaks in the wiring harness. Does anyone know if the stereo plug is correct to factory standard? because it looks as if someone installed a different stereo then took that stereo back out and re-installed old factory stereo with jacked up wiring.

The car is currently not safe to use with both the Running lights not working as well as the engine shutting off randomly.

Could an electrical short be causing a safety shutoff switch of the engine?

Any advice is welcome

-Los-

Any Advice would be welcome

Old 08-21-2022, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So that connector is used for "other" radio options (XM, OnStar, CD Changer, whatever GM offered over the years). I am not a fan of those barrel/butt connectors, but neither here nor there. That frayed wire GM refers to as a "Drain Wire". And it is uncovered wire and just wraps around the wires in the harness. I think to keep interference out. If I recall, it does not connect to the connector. But the fact you are getting continuity between it and those fuses bothers me. If anything that wire *might* tie to ground, so I am not sure why it passes through a fuse, much less two fuses. I would try that continuity test on another Monte and see what results you find. Downside if having to remove the dash to do it (plastic on these is getting a bit brittle these days).