Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help! Factory Stereo lights, no sound.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Default Need help! Factory Stereo lights, no sound.

Hi everyone,

I have one last problem I need to repair on my 2001 Monte Carlo SS. My factor stereo lights up and looks like it is working, but there is no sound coming from any of the speakers. I see some people post with similar problems; however, no one has followed up to say what the problem was.

This has been an intermittent problem for me for the past year. Sometimes it would work, other times not. I noticed that at times when it was wet out I would get really very loud static noises coming from all speakers, as if it was shorting out. I would sometimes hear these noises even when the car was turned off. I eventually had to start taking the stereo fuse out so that the battery would not go dead.

All fuses are good. I proceeded to check the wiring along the doors, and noticed that the carpet was soaked on both passenger and driver side.

I'm at the point now that the stereo no longer produces any sound, even when dry. I'm thinking there is a short or corrosion in one of the wires that run this stretch. Or the factory amp in the back eventually blew.

I have a multimeter, and I was wondering if there is any easy way I can test the wires that run to the amp connector in the trunk. I'm a total noob to multimeters, and just wondering if there is an easy way to test. Or even with a test light. I'm assuming that I should be able to test for a signal in each wire, just to see if it is live or if there is a break.

Do I just hook up the neg probe to the car chassis, and the positive probe to each connector in the Olms setting? Or should this be set to a continuity setting? I'm assuming the stereo must be turned on when I do this.

If anyone has encountered this problem before, or knows how to test each connection with a multimeter or test light, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.