Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 SS Dashboard removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Default 2004 SS Dashboard removal

Hello, I'm installing a stereo, and I was wondering how do you remove the dashboard. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Default RE: 2004 SS Dashboard removal

Hello,

The dashboard removal method is pretty simple, pull the fuse panel on the driver side and remove two bolts that attach the dash cover to the dash frame, then follow the bottom and I believe there are two maybe three bolts that need to be removed, open the glove box and you should have two more. I can not stress this enough, make sure your keys are out of the ignition, it should then pop away from the dash frame. Once you get it a little away from the dash frame make sure you unplug the emergency flasher. If not mistaken, you will have to unplug the trunk release button as well.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Instrument Panel Upper Trim Plate Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the right instrument panel (IP) fuse block access hole cover.
Remove the screw from the right end of the IP upper trim plate.

Adjust the IP cluster trim plate in order to access the screw at the left end of the IP upper trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
Remove the screw at the left end of the IP upper trim plate
Remove the IP lower trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Plate Replacement .

Remove the screw from the lower right end of the IP upper trim plate.

Start at the upper right and center of the trim plate. Pull rearward and work to the left in order to release the retainers. Remove the IP upper trim plate from the IP lower trim panel.
Installation Procedure

Position the IP upper trim plate retainers to the slots in the instrument panel (IP) lower trim panel. Press the trim plate into place until fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the screw to the lower right end of the IP upper trim plate.
Tighten
Tighten the screw to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Install the IP lower trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Lower Trim Plate Replacement .

Install the screw to the left end of the IP upper trim plate.
Tighten

Install the IP cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the screw to the right end of the IP upper trim plate.
Tighten

Install the right IP fuse block access hole cover.

OR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement (Monte Carlo)
Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
Remove the I/P right upper trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Plate Replacement .
Remove the garnish moldings from the left and from the right windshield pillar. Refer to Garnish Molding Replacement - Windshield Pillar in Interior Trim.

Starting at the right side, carefully lift upwards on the defroster grille in order to release the retainers. Continue working to the left side until you have released all of the retainers.
Disconnect the daytime running lamps (DRL) sensor from the defroster grille.
Remove the defroster grille.
Remove the I/P upper trim pad screws.
Remove the remote keyless entry module. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in Key

Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Yeah, what he said.... lol

I am going to add this to our DIY area. Nice work NYCRISS!!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM

wow thats detailed

Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 PM

No problem. Glad I could help.