Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Monte Carlo SS Won't Start - HELP!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Default 2004 Monte Carlo SS Won't Start - HELP!

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS.

This morning I went to turn it on and everything was working perfectly fine - the after market cd player has power, all inside lights worked fine.

The problem would occur when the car would not turn on. It wouldn't rev or even try to turn over when I turned the key.

When I would turn the key to the Start position and hold it (like normal,) the front lights would turn off but there was still a glow from the left and right yellow signal lights. I can't remember if this is normal or if I am having a battery issue?

I am 95% sure I didn't leave anything on to drain the battery last night. When I get home, I'm still going to try and jump it.

The steering wheel is also locked at the moment so any advice on how to unlock it would be greatly appreciated.

What could be the problem?

Thank you!!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM

From what I understand about these cars, if the voltage of the battery is below 11.5 volts then it will not start or try to start the car. So yea try to jump it and see if that works.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would think your battery is shot too.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Had the same issue with our 05 Tuesday. I turned the key and just had a click from the relay.
No crank. But the radio worked. But the time rest to 12:00 when trying it to start.
I knew right away it was the battery. Since we still had the original in.
Changed the battery and she started right up.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Default same problem car wont start not even crank

Hi:

Just went to get the car state inspection also did general maintanence. Car was worked on for about 2 hours of which most to the time it was running.

Replaced some filters and oil ,antifreeze, that's it.

The tech parked the car outside and i went to pay the bill. I came out and turned the key ,car would not start, not even crank. There was electric for the lights and the door locks. But wouldnt start. Tech came out, starts pulling fuses and testing them and disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Nothing.

He called the supervisor. Got same thing, but he noticed the "security light "" was on . OH the car lost the transponder memory from the key.

He got it started.

Ugh. That was fun.

He suggested that i get a factory key for the car [the one i have is aftermarket and came with the car when i bought it used]. I fail to see what the difference is, since i have been using the key for over a year without a problem. Maybe just freak thing.

By the way ,where would i find out how to program the key for the car ? Thanks

Last edited by BigEd; 08-26-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Default 2004 Monte Carlo Cranks But Won't Start

Have any suggestions?????????????? Need to get this car running ASAP..........

Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BigEd
Hi:

Just went to get the car state inspection also did general maintanence. Car was worked on for about 2 hours of which most to the time it was running.

Replaced some filters and oil ,antifreeze, that's it.

The tech parked the car outside and i went to pay the bill. I came out and turned the key ,car would not start, not even crank. There was electric for the lights and the door locks. But wouldnt start. Tech came out, starts pulling fuses and testing them and disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Nothing.

He called the supervisor. Got same thing, but he noticed the "security light "" was on . OH the car lost the transponder memory from the key.

He got it started.

Ugh. That was fun.

He suggested that i get a factory key for the car [the one i have is aftermarket and came with the car when i bought it used]. I fail to see what the difference is, since i have been using the key for over a year without a problem. Maybe just freak thing.

By the way ,where would i find out how to program the key for the car ? Thanks
Ed I have a feeling your battery may have been weak and they left doors open causing it to drain. What year and trim is your car?

Please start a new thread in the "Repair Help" section.