Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo Ls won't start after moderate collision. !!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo Ls won't start after moderate collision. !!!HELP!!!

So I was in a front end collision on 12/26/10. Only damage was hood, headlight, bumper, fender. Engine is FINE. Pic Below. On 1/1/11 my battery 1st died. I got it jumped and it was drivable for about 3 days until I was on the highway and the hood flew open and smashed the windshield. Seconds after the hood hit the windshield the car died. I got the car towed and the battery charged at Autozone. I got the body completely fixed, put in the battery and drove the car for 2 days. As of today the car has no power and will not start.

My thoughts are:

1. Battery damaged
2. Wiring or fusebox shortage/damage
3. Alternator
4. BCM

When I get a "jump" the car is perfectly drivable. Just cant hold a charge and start.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Please don't double post. One thread is enough.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

BTW - In response to your question, it sounds like your altenator is not charging. They are easy enough to take off and you can take it to the parts store and they can typically test it for free.

Sorry about your luck with the collision. As a note for yourself and anyone else on here, make sure the hod is SECURELY latched before driving (otherwise, don't drive the car). A situation where the hood flies up like that puts you and other drivers at risk. Driving the car is not worth that risk.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Sounds like the Battery isn't holding charged either.

I dont know why, but at autozone they could have checked to see if the battery WAS/IS holding charge, they could have tested your alternator also.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

sounds like one of the plates in the battery shifted and wont accept any thing but a serface charge. i would replace it just for satisfaction on making sure it wont leave you stranded. if the new battery dies after you put it in and after a new altinator there could be a wire or some thing else wrong like a ground or a power wire fraid

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM

How old is the battery?
If it's the original one that came in the car, it's a bit past due for replacement.
Also, double check your chassis grounds. It's possible a ground was knocked loose in the collision.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by biggriggs
How old is the battery?
If it's the original one that came in the car, it's a bit past due for replacement.
Also, double check your chassis grounds. It's possible a ground was knocked loose in the collision.
I was thinking along the same lines. My factory ground is on the passenger side pretty much where most of your damage is. I'm not sure if it was in the same place on 2001 Montes but it would be worth checking out. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 AM

UPDATE

Took car to local Autozone and they checked the battery and alternator. Yes the battery was the original battery that came with the car when I bought it used back in 2008 so who knows how old it is.

But when they scanned the battery, the scan tool said it was only putting out 7 volts and literally said "replace this battery". So I bought a new battery. Next they scanned the alternator and it read no problem. She starts like a champ now.

SO IN CONCLUSION, THE OLD A*$ BATTERY WAS THE PROBLEM. I APPRECIATE YOU GUYS POST. I REALLY NEED MY CAR FOR WHEN I LEAVE OFF TO COLLEGE ON 1/29.