Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Monte Carlo radio info

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Default 2004 Monte Carlo radio info

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo and have a question about the radio - the current radio does not have the security or tire pressure features but does have an issue with the CD player. If I got a radio from the same year car that also has none of the above features will it be just a swap? The car does have a security system but it is an aftermarket since the previous owner must have either lost the key fob or had the alarm system installed instead. The cassette deck works fine - even use it with an adapter for the aftermarket Sirius receiver since it is better than the cheesey window foil that tries to pass for an antenna.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by nealg58
I have a 2004 Monte Carlo and have a question about the radio - the current radio does not have the security or tire pressure features but does have an issue with the CD player. If I got a radio from the same year car that also has none of the above features will it be just a swap? The car does have a security system but it is an aftermarket since the previous owner must have either lost the key fob or had the alarm system installed instead. The cassette deck works fine - even use it with an adapter for the aftermarket Sirius receiver since it is better than the cheesey window foil that tries to pass for an antenna.
I believe as soon as you take the factory radio out of the vehicle it locks because of the anti-theft system it has. You may have to have a dealer unlock the other factory radio in order for it to function.

someone else on here probably knows more than me!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is a "simpler" looking CD radio I've seen on some of the Montes sounds like yours is one of them. Sadly, I don't know, but I suspect there is a chance it could be a straight swap. If you have to replace it anyways, i'd do it. OR upgrade to GM MP3 Radio 10348717 (it was offered in '04-'05 Venture Vans and Cavaliers). I put this radio in my Monte so I could play MP3s burned to a CD (looks exactly like my factory one and works with all the wheel controls). This model DOES require programming with a GM TechII (a scan tool used at most, if not all, GM dealerships).

Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the vehicle was not equipped with an alarm from the factory then you won't have settings for that option in the radio, but the low tire pressure indicator was a standard feature so I don't understand why it's not there. To be honest, I wouldn't go through all the hassle and cost of replacing the radio just to have the tire monitor option in the radio. If the warning light ever comes on just turn the key to the ON position then turn your parking lights on/off 3 times within 15 seconds to reset it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM

I'm not interested in the tire pressure part I just want a working CD & tape player. I have found several on the 'e' place and figured a new or used one would be MUCH easier than trying to repair the current one.