Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 SS Battery Light/ AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Default 2002 SS Battery Light/ AC issue

New member here! I have a 2002 SS which I've driven for nearly ten years now. Generally, she's a good girl, but lately she's been a bit finicky.

Here're the symptoms:

Turn AC on at the beginning of a drive.
About five minutes in, the battery light comes on.
About two minutes later, the AC starts blowing hot.

Alternator, starter, and battery checked at Autozone. All okay.

Saw some wobble on the tensioner pulley and sliding on the old belt, so
replaced serpentine belt and tensioner pulley last night. Belt was worn, cracking, and glossy.

This morning, I turned the AC on. Worked fine. I turned if off. Turned it on again a bit later in the commute, and it wouldn't blow cold. Turned it off and the battery light came on. Also, it's taking a few extra cranks to get the engine to turn over. That only started after I replaced the belt and the pulley.

My next guess is some other accessory on the belt is causing the problem, which then results in the belt slipping and the alternator picking up on the low voltage. Maybe the AC compressor, since it's when that's in use that the battery light comes on?

I have not experienced any powering down of the car yet, but I am carrying a jumpstarter in my trunk, just in case.

Help appreciated.