Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo ss wpnt crank wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Exclamation 2002 Monte Carlo ss wpnt crank wont start

Ok this Monte Carlo is my first car and ever since we have had the car it has had a security issue with the car and the security light will blink and I have to wait about 10 - 30 minutes before I can start the car up, but I think I fixed that issue I took out my ignition cylinder and I pushed it all together and it clicked tighter and that fixed that problem. Now there is a new problem I get in the car in the morning when it is cold outside and turn the key to start and nothing happens and the security light is NOT blinking the fuel pump does not prime up and I get a few warning lights in my little window I have made a video to better explain it all. Please watch the video and help me out here I don't understand this thing at all I was looking around on this website and I saw something about wheel bearings and the traction control system and I'm thinking the wheel bearings need to be replaced but I just don't know and I figured I should just make a post on here soo here it is please if any one can tell what is going on help me out here.

Monte Carlo Problem - YouTube <----- video on my Monte

If it is warm outside the car starts and runs fine but that only when it is warm.

I do have some mods on the car a drop in K and N air filter. I also changed out my resonator with a cherry bomb glaspack, and I also changed out the mufflers with cherry bomb vortex. I don't know if that is causing the problem but just thought I let you all know. The car also has a decent sized dent on the driver side front fender (my mom hit a pole the car is to long for her) you cant see from the engine bay it just pushed in the fender a but no real damage.

that's all I can think of at the moment please I know someone on here will know whats going on with my car

Last edited by Chevyruner; 12-12-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you pull the ignition switch or just the ignition lock cylinder? Have you done the security relearn? How old is the battery?

Hi, you said it starts fine when it's warm? Have yourbattery tested. Could be that it does not have the power to start when cold.
Also, any time you do anything to the ignition it is recommended that you do the security relearn. Put 02 Monte Carlo security relearn in your browser to get the procedure.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM

I have done multiple relearns before I don’t think I have had to do one since I played with the ignition cylinder, and yes it was the ignition cylinder where the key goes in I took it apart because I read online that it could be corroded and causing the problem. There was no corrosion at all it looked brand new. When I was putting it back together the small wiring harness in the side of it. I'm pretty sure it was the passlock wires I pushed on them and they clicked in and I thought that was causing my problem with a loose connection. I have also changed the battery over the summer and it is basically new.

Also I remembered sometimes the car will turn over and start but will die because of the fact that the fuel pump is not priming up.

When I get home today I will try to do a security relearn and see if that does any thing. Thanks for your help

Last edited by Chevyruner; 12-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Everything you described revolves around power. A bad connection Maybe. I would start at the ignition like cylinder. Since that is the last thing that was worked on. That is were I would start. Hopefully you can find it and you won't have to take it to the shop!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's weird that the check engine light didn't come on when u put car in on position. But it said service vechile soon. I would get tht battery charged asap

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Ok so I got in the car after getting home from school and I was going to preform a security relearn but I didn't have to I got in turned the key and it started right up I took another video to show what normal start up looks like