Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

99 Monte Carlo Wont Crank/Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Default 99 Monte Carlo Wont Crank/Start

Hello all,

I have a 99 Monte Carlo Z34. Occasionally the car will not crank when I try to start it. All of the dash lights come one like it should, but no cranking. If I let it sit for a while, it will start normally. This can range from about 5 minutes to over an hour. I have two "starter" keys and the problem exists with either key. The previous owner also installed a remote start in the car. This seems to happen most when we have either very cold or hot temps outside. I'm looking for the best place to start. To me, it seems like it could be the remote starter, key sensor, or ECU that could be the culprit, but I'm more than willing to hear suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM

does it make any sounds when its not starting? these cars are pretty stout. chances are it is the starter.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by frgivn
Hello all,

I have a 99 Monte Carlo Z34. Occasionally the car will not crank when I try to start it. All of the dash lights come one like it should, but no cranking. If I let it sit for a while, it will start normally. This can range from about 5 minutes to over an hour. I have two "starter" keys and the problem exists with either key. The previous owner also installed a remote start in the car. This seems to happen most when we have either very cold or hot temps outside. I'm looking for the best place to start. To me, it seems like it could be the remote starter, key sensor, or ECU that could be the culprit, but I'm more than willing to hear suggestions.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the forum.
I too have a 1999 Z-34... I would consider checking the battery terminals as well as the battery connections.. Just to eliminate that as a problem.
How long has that battery been in use? 3 to 5 yrs tops is considered the lifetime of a battery.
It could also be a faulty crank sensor rusted corroted connections... Depending on the climate /state you live in. Living in Michigan (Hot and Cold) yr round... I have never had a starter go bad.... But then again I am the original owner and have a high Maintenance program....

I'm not saying that it couldn't be the starter... I'm more leaning towards corroted connections,battery, crank sensor...

Hope this Helps!
I'm sure someone else may chime in to add some further suggestions..
Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. I have checked the battery, starter, crank sensor, etc. but everything seems to be working properly with these items. The problem comes and goes. I will drive all week with no problems, then it will happen. Stick the key in, turn it, all electrical, gages, etc. respond, but not so much as a "click" can be herd from the starter... nothing. After reading some of the other posts, I think I might be experiencing problems with my Passlock system.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Default fuel pump relay

Not my 1996 Monte, but I have another 96 car that had intermittent starting. Problem solved, it was the fuel pump relay that would withhold power to the electric fuel pump. Easy fix, unplug relay and install new one.

My 1996 Monte starts very quickly because I turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to quit working in the tank and them turn to start, fires right up.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 12-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 PM
Default 99 monte ls

99 monte ls and im having the same problem with mine we did the crank shaft sensor the cam sensor and new battery . the fuel pump is kicking in and the starter dose not make a clicking noise can any one help with this ?

Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tamjaz1028
99 monte ls and im having the same problem with mine we did the crank shaft sensor the cam sensor and new battery . the fuel pump is kicking in and the starter dose not make a clicking noise can any one help with this ?
The starter doesn't need to make a clicking noise if it goes it can be silent, I know it was on mine.