Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt Security Question on Bypassing

Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Smile 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt Security Question on Bypassing

Hi all, Have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt Intimidator. Ran fine no problems except losing a little water. Had to tak eout the battery for some reason. I forget same as usual at my age. Any way tightened a hose leak, battery was put back in and tried to start. Ignition was locked tight and couldn't turn it, shifter, nothing. Ended up taking a dremle to shave off the tab to get the lock cylinder out but the chip got damaged. So i wen to boneyard and got a switch and new cylinder lock and key and installed. Fine so far. Now no cranking. Ended up if I took radio out and reinstalled I could jump start for a couple secs from underneath going across the solenoid. Still no running. To bypass security. I want to cut the yellow wire, strip ends and then peel insulation back on black a bit. When I put the engine to run I should get a resistance reading across the top half yellow wire to key and to black stripped portion. Ok then the match resistance resistors, with the readings, solder inetc. The question, I know finally, is that with the change in cylinder lock and switch from another car will this bypass work? Sure I understand try it, but has anyone changed out like I did and did it work. I'm a noob so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly, when you swapped the ignition switch (with passlock chip), if the chip, BCM and PCM are all working all you need to do to get the car to start is perform the PCM Security re-learn. Very common process, no tools required, takes about 30-40 minutes, car will then start up and you will be good to go. No need to hack up and bypass anything.
Personally, if it were my car, I would put all the wiring the way the factory had it and do the PCM relearn.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Ok, great! So my security light blinks 3 times and goes displays a couple probs not security related and then goes out. Will the relearn work like this? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM

So with the lock cylinder and key with different chip in it and switch will work and don't need to reflash computer your saying? Thanks!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 PM

10 Year Member

The keys for these cars have NO chip. The security system is the chip on the lock cylinder, BCM and PCM. And yes, you can swap the lock cylinder, do the relearn and all good. Attached is the PCM relearn from the GM shop book. Follow that and should be all good!

Attached Files
File Type: docx
PCM Relearn (Shop Book).docx (16.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 02:51 PM

Nope, didn't work. Put key in run jumped across solenoid and it starts and then dies out after a few seconds. I dunno. Real discouraged..

Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 PM

So after doing the relearning sequence nothing happened. Noticed the battery light was on shift guage selector lights was on and radio was on with the key out and turned off. Wanted to check the radio which works and the shell was hot. Disconnected the radio and the battery and selector switch lights went out. Weird. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:56 PM

10 Year Member

Big question on my mind, are you still getting the security message on the instrument cluster? If you are, it sounds like the relearn did not complete properly. If you took the key out of the ignition at any point you stopped the process and end up starting over again (it's a common mistake people make).