Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 starting/bcm problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM

I had to replace the bcnm in my car what would happeh is when I turned on my headlight all the interior light would start blinking .When the the headlights were off it would not blink changed all the stuff linked with the lights prior to replacing the bcm. I all so made a huge mistake and got a after market one by Cardone instead of a GM one .It is one of those parts that has to be put in by a dealer however when the dealer put mine to install the codes and when I got it back it locked out the dome light when you open the door or unlock it with the fob. I was told it went into police mode which means no light when the door is open and unlocked by the fob now I have to get a new one and it will be a GM oem one . plus there no codes

Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Default not totally solved

Welp, I gave up & took to a family shop recommended by a coworker. After fallin for another shop that said over the phone, "it might just be the battery, even though the car starts up fine". Against my better judgement, I ran out to drop $100 only to find out it wasn't. Beforehand, I emailed them the symptoms & told them I wanted someone that has seen this before. They said they had several times.

They called me back to say they ran tests, it was the BCM. They replace & program it, but say the check engine light is on. I pick it up & not only that, but trac & ABS lights as well (they were all on when i dropped it off), but also the air bag light (NOT on when i dropped it off). Had the mechanic come out & told him about it, says bring it back & he'll check into the air bag light, but not the others, because they are from the mechanical, not the BCM. Also after I got it home, noticed the headlights & taillights are on all the time. They were before, but had that clickin & flickerin, which is gone. Stopped into Autozone to read codes - P0135 - O2 sensor, that's all.

To sum up: message center is cleared, gauges are workin, & no more clickin.

still a problem: check engine, trac, ABS warning lights, head/tail lights stay on.

new problem: air bag warning light.

I'll definitely post the endin to this horrible story, but if any1 wants to chime in here, please do.

$678 & countin......

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Default probably solved

OK, so I take it back in & he reprograms it. Air bag light goes out & head/tail lights go off. So all I had was the ABS, trac & engine lights on. He still says that has nothin to do with the BCM. So I'm out drivin & the fuel gauge goes to full, then about a minute later, to empty. Then later, the security message pops up for about a minute, then goes off. So I'm thinkin, "here we go agin w this POS".

I take it back in & he says he runs tests. Says it's the fuel level sensor - $400 & sumthin bucks. So I say, "gimme the keys", & I'm outta there. I remember readin about the ignition or passlock (not sure if they are the same). So I find a video on how to bypass the passlock feature. You have to take the trim off the front of the dash to get the ignition out. I pull up a how-to on this site. Guy writes, "pull hard - you won't break it", but I know better than that. You do have to pull firmly on the area around the radio/heater control. That part did not break. But the area around the instrument panel & right vent cracked up like an effin taco shell, even tho I was takin it ez. Dumass GM can't even make a semi-tuff trim!

So the video says pick a resistor to mimick the key. Any from 440 -11,700 ohms. I got 2 off an old scrap metal pile. Checked them on my multimeter - 1K & 4.75K. Cut the yellow wire & connect it to the black. Then you do the 10-min relearn, altho most others said it's a 3-stage process. So I tried them both, even for the 3 stage - no start. So I wire it back up how it was & do the relearn for 10-min only once. Security light flashes up until 10 mins, but then stays solid, which means it's ready. Car starts right up. Lesson learned: you need to do this for ONLY 10 mins.

Then on Sat, I go to the boneyard to get a replacement trim. They got 4, but of course, all 4 are busted up. Thanks alot GM!!! So I already got my O2 sensor swivel wrench on loan from Autozone, (which is shameful that you need a special tool to take out what is essentially a big bolt - and you DO NEED that tool) so I pluck out 2 of them (just in case). $10. Plug it in in the parkin lot, & since I disconnected the neg cable before I went in, the check engine light is off. & stayed off, so I got a good 1.

It's been 4 days now & the fuel gauge floats now & then, but mostly stays where it's supposed to be. & no security light - so far. Maybe that relearn did the trick? But still have ABS & trac lights. Live to be pist @GM another day.....

But wow, I wish I would've joined this forum earlier.....so I could've said "HE!! NO!" to buyin this migraine on wheels after readin the horror stories on here. Dunno what I would've bought - maybe a Sebring, but I wouldn't've betrayed by buyin a Honda like some have suggested. It's a shame that incompetent GM screwd the pooch with this passlock/BCM catastrophe & totally smeared what should've been a great sportscar that every1 would've loved & bragged about on this forum. If Kia would've come up with such a lamebrain idea as the passlock, you wouldn't be hearin anymore of Kia, becuz Kia would've went bankrupt. But GM gets bailed out instead. What a disgrace.

Last edited by TXMonte; 02-12-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:43 AM
Default 2001 monte carlo 3.4L ls

[QUOTE=jim1405;486219]Hi all,
My 2001 monte with the 3.4 engine is behaving in a bad way. Recently when driving the service traction control light comes on, turning the tc off, battery light comes on and the turn signals quit working and then it goes back to normal all by itself during the same trip with the exception of the traction control not coming back on.

Now, when attempting to start it multiple things light up on the dash and flash in a very erratic way. The airbag, battery, abs, brake lights and also the tach starts jumping. I also hear some type of whine but can't tell what it is. Maybe the fuel pump still trying to spin up? It does not even attempt to actually turn over.

When it does start normally everything seems ok except I can still hear a very faint steady whine that sounds electrical not mechanical. It doesnt seem to come from the engine compartment though. Almost like the middle of the car and not coming from the speakers that I can tell.

I'm going to check all the electrical connections I can, especially the bcm connections but has anyone had similar problems and what was the fix?

(So mine all these issues has had or has. The sound though does it almost sound like a power steering pump? Bc that's what mine sounded like. Got bad over time. Everyone told me the power steering pump. I kept saying I thought it was the ac compressor. Anyways it was the ac compressor. MY ac isn't working as of this yr. so I used a bypass pull for 58 bucks at auto zone took about an hr. Noise was gone purrs like a baby. Still having the traction issue abs light. Doesn't seem to hurt engine performance though. Had the issue 6 yrs. The abs used to go and off then stayed on. Weather effects it. Turn signals need to warm up when cold in winter. Or they like freeze and won't blink. No huge issue they still work though even tho solid when extremely cold. Sometimes even them they warm up. The security issue w no start lately is getting on my nerves. Does it at random times so no way to know if I'll have to wait to drive til the security light fails. I feel this was caused in the first place by the ignition switched recall. So why isn't this issue we have solved under the recall. Hope any of that was useful. -Anna)

Old 10-10-2023, 10:10 AM
Red face Jim Stupid Question Jump Starts still work

Originally Posted by jim1405
In addition to the symptoms I listed in my original post I also had several instances of the buzzing sound and the instruments and turn signals wigging out but the car continued to run. Ever since I replaced the ignition switch the car has been 100% reliable with absolutely none of the previous issues. I would definitely start with that, it's under $40 dollars for the part online and is not that difficult to replace.
I've read this thread many times I just have ONE stupid question: If it's my ignition switch would jump starts sill work? They do, so I'm confused.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jim1405
Problem resolved.

Fixed this quite awhile ago but wanted to give an update for anyone having similar problems.

I wound up replacing the ignition switch but kept the original key cylinder and now the car starts perfectly!

I ruled out the BCM computer by getting a salvage yard replacement from another 2001 3.4 engine for $20. From what I was able to find out this should have at least allowed the car to start, but various options may not have worked since it wasn't programmed to my car. Still a cheap diagnostic test compared to shops though.

I went against common advice and bought a Dorman brand ignition switch instead of factory original hoping to save almost 2/3 the price. So far so good on that.

I went with the Dorman since their drivers side power window switch also fixed my issue with the window going down but not up. I had replaced it once before with a Standard Motor Products switch but that failed after a week. Thinking I had short somewhere in the system I tore the door apart but everything checked out fine. I must have got unlucky with the other part. It was under warranty but I took it apart to test.

Hope this is useful to someone and thanks for the replies that were received.
Hi Jim sounds like this is the fix for me, but jump starts still work so I'm confused, would that happen wsith a fualty ingition switch?

Battery, cables, alternator, O2 sensor all good. Started like a PSS fail lockout but got worse.