General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Monte Carlo seems to have an electronic glitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Default Monte Carlo seems to have an electronic glitch

I have a 2006 LT3 3900 v6 Monte Carlo. For the past few months it will display warnings on the dash cluster. These warnings happen randomly and eventually go away. Every warning I have had has been false, in that I have checked all issues and the problems do not exist. Warnings are something to the effect of: low oil pressure/turn off engine, service traction control abs, etc and the temp gauge quit working once for awhile but is fine now. In addition the interior lights were acting up and would not turn off while driving so I took all the bulbs out, and when you double lock with the key fob sometime the horn doesn't beep. Everything seem to be electrical related. What can be the problem? Thanks

Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

With that many glitches I'd imagine a ground or module failure (what module? Don't know).

I have been chasing sequence of air bag warning, seat belt warning and traction control warnings for 5 years. Today while coming home it flashed "Speed Limited to 107 MPH" when I was going maybe 30.

Since none of these things have been disabling and they change with every re-start I ignore them. Have a business card that is stuck in the gage pod that blocks the false lights of doom.

Last edited by Barovelli; 03-11-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It sounds like your BCM is going, when they go they cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. This is a part that needs to be programmed by a dealer with the tech 2 and you can't buy used. I think Rock Auto sells them but you will still need a dealer to program it

Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sound to me like Ohara mentioned the bcm is out of whack. The bcm is different from an ecm. The ecm will throw the engine codes on the cluster that any scan tool or parts store can read. The bcm throws those codes on the display that read out like you guys have mentioned.
Funny timing here but just week my car an06 SS out of the blue when started popped up "service battery charging system" down on the display. Immediately got out the voltmeter, battery showed 12.8v, engine running the alternator 13.8v. So the charging system was operating correctly. But that message wouldn't turn off.
Happens to be before my racing career I worked for my local Chevy dealer. Went to see a buddy,turns out that was common on these cars and a tsb was available to reprogram the bcm for that message and several others. I can't remember all but other than battery system it was for air bag pressure, brake pressure, transmission, key fobs that I recall.
Anyhow he reprogrammed bcm while I was there and no more service battery charging system message. Cost me 1hr labor but was worth it to me. Not to mention now there's a record if it being preformed.
They got us by the shorthairs on bcms, but such is life

Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed computer issue.