Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte SS Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Default 2001 Monte SS Stalling problem

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board. As you can tell from my forum name that I'm frustrated with my 2001 SS, 3.8L. Two weeks ago, I experienced stalling, the tach would go crazy and shut down. It had the check engine light on, so I brought it to an automotive electronics place, and they plugged her in, and she threw a few codes, 5 or 6 I think. The guy suggested I replace the computer, which I did. I picked the car up, and he told me that she threw just one code after the new PCM. It was for the mass air flow sensor. So, I went to autozone, got a new one, put it in, and still the check engine light was on. The auto zone guy cleared the code, and she ran fine. Anyway, the next day, the check engine light came on, and went off the day after that, but then she started stalling out again. As of now, I have no check engine light. I disconnected the battery yesterday for 10 minutes, plugged it back in, and drove fine yesterday afternoon, but then this morning, she stalled again, with no check engine light. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks, Rob

Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Default RE: 2001 Monte SS Stalling problem

[align=center]Hi Rob,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read that you hate your Monte [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many miles/owners does your Monte Carlo have ?[/align][align=center]How has it been maintained ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Maybe it is not the Monte, but the mechanic/tech that has[/align][align=center]been working on you Monte Carlo ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It is difficult to give you a defined answer from just the word[/align][align=center]description in your post, and if the parts that you have invested[/align][align=center]in were properly installed?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Who did the install on the computer, & air flow sensor ?[/align][align=center]Were they certified tech`s ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please post addditional information on your problem, or[/align][align=center]search out a GM tech that has the knowledge/equipment[/align][align=center]to test your Monte. Have your checked your `Cat Coverter ?[/align][align=center](They are known to clog, & cause problems)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish you good luck in resolving your problems, and we[/align][align=center]hope to see a future post that your Love your SS again: )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Look forward to your updates[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Default RE: 2001 Monte SS Stalling problem

hay man i had a problem that sounds something like yours with my monte(2001 ss) try this, (this is what fixed mine) pop the hood look behind the drivers side headlight find the pcm (its a silver cpu box looking thing unplug it and have a look at the wiers that was pluged into it you will most likely find a short in which case simply splice the damaged area and reconect be sure to: 1st unplug your batt and, 2nd protect the fix from water and other elements then plug you pcm back in and redo your batt and se if that fixes it good luck