Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM

It amazes me that so many people are replacing sending units without at least giving an additive a try.

The contacts on the sending unit are typically plated with silver-palladium to resist corrosion. But over time, residual sulfur in gasoline can corrode the contacts causing the gauge to vacillate erratically or not at all. Replacing the sending unit is an expensive job because you have to drop the fuel tank unless you have trunk access, so a more affordable alternative is to simply add a bottle of additive to the tank.

I quote from an article I read concerning cheap gas: "Depending on who you talk to, it is suggested that starting around 2001 refiners have been reducing the use of detergent-dispersants by 40%-66%, that's up to a 2/3 reduction. This was made worse by additional reductions allowed and encouraged by the EPA in the wake of the 2005 hurricane season to alleviate spot shortages caused by the damage these storms did to our overall refining capacity. These reductions in the additive level and octane rating may save the refiners money and possibly increased supply, however it causes many engine problems, raises emissions, and lowers mileage for the users of their fuel."

As I posted earlier in this thread, three mechanics suggested that I needed to replace my sending unit. OF COURSE that would solve the problem. It would also solve the problem of a bad EGR if one replaced the entire engine.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Well....I'm fixin to try the additive. Mine is starting to really get on my nerves and all the part stores either can't get the part, or wanna charge nearly $300 for the fuel pump and sending unit together! They won't sell them seperate. So since I really don't have $300 right now and am willing to try anything at this point, I am going to fill the tank and add some cleaner. I really hope it works. If not I'm going to scream! Thanks for all the info.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Well it didnt work for me! I tried it twice and it would work for about a day and then right back to dancing! its really starting to get me ill! I guess ill have to end up having the whole dang unit repalced! Oh well

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

worked awesome for me too! pulled the pump. bent the contact arms... 1.5 hours later..mamas excited yellin "i gotta half tank!!"

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For RED02SS, try buying the part off of rockauto.com or seriously, ebay.com. they got some nice parts on there and there cheaper but read the description with caution.

As for 2004 SS, all i have to say is.....lol

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2004 ss
worked awesome for me too! pulled the pump. bent the contact arms... 1.5 hours later..mamas excited yellin "i gotta half tank!!"
We tried the additive from the chevy dealer first...didnt do a damn thing.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm having the same problem but also when the car is actually on E and i try to fill up at the pump the overflow sensor in the pump kicks on like every damn 1/4 of a gallon, i've actually had it splash back on me after putting in about 2 bucks of gas on an empty tank. Any ideas guys?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM

"2000-2004 Monte Carlo's have a fuel pump access panel in the trunk under the carpet"

How about 2005s? are they not the same???

phoenixdude24 I have the same problem with Kick Off/ almost evry 1/4 tank it kicks off.. and i have had the backsplash aslo I FLIPPED OUT their was like a buck of premium on the ground!!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 AM

Will definitly give a try to the additive since mine gives the right level when i start the engine, and when its full.

Any easy acces on 5th gen?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM

you could of just used your overhead display and kept it on fuel used. your tank is a 17 gallon tank and you can reset your display every time you fill it up. thats what i do if anyone else has the same problem and money issues..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!