Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 PM

I was wondering how I missed this thread... date. I was going to say to go through the trunk. Didn't know about the separate unit myself. Good info.

Another way is to fill your tank with gas to the top and reset the tripometer. When you hit 250 miles, refill. You should be good for 300-315 mixed city/highway, and 375 all highway, but why risk it.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This should be made a sticky in the DIY section. TAZ????

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stickied!

Great info!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Hi everyone! I've done the big job. I tried the instructions that bowtietech had type and guess what, its finally installed. It took me a while to get it installed (I had to build that daddy courage for my daughter) because my daughter is mainly in the car with me and I get tired of the "low fuel" light. Instead of takin it to someone who of course knows what they are doing, I had no money and nothing but time and ability. What do you know. It took me like 1 hour and a half to complete the job. Thanks Bowtiwtech, your a lifesaver (as well as $150 - $200) back in my pocket. He he he he!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Before I would do anything regarding replacing a sending unit , try some Mobile gas. On a trip to Reno from Phoenix a few years ago, a few miles out of Vegas my fuel gauge stopped giving accurate readings. Three "mechanics" in Reno suggested that I replace the sending unit on a 2001 SS.

When I returned to Phoenix a week later, a mechanic friend of mine told me to run a tank of Mobile gas. There is an additive in Mobile (which I forget) and apparently it also cleans up the sending unit. (You can also purchase that additive by itself at your local parts store.)

Miracle of miracles. Within fifty miles, the sending unit began working. I now run Mobile about once a month.

If that doesn't work for you, then proceed to normal diagnostic techniques.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Thats interesting about the Mobil one additive.My sending unit is starting to fail.I'll get me a bottle and report back in about a month.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Our Monte is doing the same exact thing also...but not all the time. This evening it went from E to F in a second then back and forth...we stopped and put gas in it and it seems to be fine now, gotta keep an eye on it now. joy joy

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Default what part did you end up replacing?

this is one of 'the last issues' i need to deal with on my 2000 Monte.

what part did you end up replacing? the entire Sending unit?

please advise. This is my next weekend project.

I just replaced the driver side door window motor and regulator. It was a snap. Got a lot of pleasure fixing something myself (and done correctly!).

thanks for any help on this

Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM

edit: nevermind... the stupid thing started working on it's own...

Last edited by moonlitmagik; 08-03-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by RussellUCF
this is one of 'the last issues' i need to deal with on my 2000 Monte.

what part did you end up replacing? the entire Sending unit?

please advise. This is my next weekend project.

I just replaced the driver side door window motor and regulator. It was a snap. Got a lot of pleasure fixing something myself (and done correctly!).

thanks for any help on this
I ended up replacing the whole fuel pump. ***Don't beat me up guys, I didn't know the problem was just the sending unit*** My mechanic was stalling and overpricing me for installing it so I did it myself (and GREW some hair on my chest afterwards, LOL). I replaced it and hasn't had a problem since. The price that I bought it for was for $170 off the web.

Quick Reply: 2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!