Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 SS runs fine then wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Default 2000 SS runs fine then wont restart

2000 Monte Carlo SS
The car seems to run fine then my wife pulls into a store or gas station and then it wont start back up. So she sits for 15 to 30 min and then it starts up and runs fine.

Sometimes when she restarts it she has to pump the gas pedal as it seems to chug or act like its stalling. I have been there once when it would not start and it would just crank. I tried it with one or two pumps of gas and then again pushing on the gas pedal quite a few times and it would just crank.

6 months ago we had a problem with it dying while driving and we replaced the mass air flow sensor.

I have a Innova 3160D Scan tool and I cannot pull any codes at all on that car. When the MAF problem occurred i could not pull any codes. I took it to a shop and they pulled the MAF code. We took it home to put in the new sensor and I put the Innova on it and I read the code, that was weird.

If anyone has any ideas to point me in the right direction it would be truly appreciated.
Thanks Guys

Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be the MAF again, but it could be the crank sensor having issues, or a dying fuel pump would be my guesses...

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by optic1
2000 Monte Carlo SS
The car seems to run fine then my wife pulls into a store or gas station and then it wont start back up. So she sits for 15 to 30 min and then it starts up and runs fine.

Sometimes when she restarts it she has to pump the gas pedal as it seems to chug or act like its stalling. I have been there once when it would not start and it would just crank. I tried it with one or two pumps of gas and then again pushing on the gas pedal quite a few times and it would just crank.

6 months ago we had a problem with it dying while driving and we replaced the mass air flow sensor.

I have a Innova 3160D Scan tool and I cannot pull any codes at all on that car. When the MAF problem occurred i could not pull any codes. I took it to a shop and they pulled the MAF code. We took it home to put in the new sensor and I put the Innova on it and I read the code, that was weird.

If anyone has any ideas to point me in the right direction it would be truly appreciated.
Thanks Guys
Is it really possible to "pump" a fuel injected vehicle?
When you replaced the MAF 6 months ago...
Did you replace it with an AC Delco? If not... That's the problem... an MAF other than an AC Delco is an inferior part... Especially a Bosch.. (If that's what you replaced it with) They all (off brands) have a tendancy to fail... repeatedly. Cheaper is not better.. When it comes to our Monte Carlo's.

If it is an AC Delco MAF..
Im with nighthawkjcb... either a crank sensor or the fuel pump is failing...

Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM

Had the same problem had to change the ignition switch problem solved . Had a 2003 Monte Carlo SS I would drive some place shut off the car and it would not start in awhile it would start

Old 12-23-2014, 06:03 PM

something simular happened to me roughly around 2007 and it turned out being my fuel pump and thank god it was covered under warranty cause the pump was over 200 and 3 hours labor was nutz. good luck and hope its an easy fix.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Ok that gives me a few ideas to start testing on, i will do in the am and post what i found thanks guys

Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 AM

STUMPMI, i saw a post awhile back about a mentor on the lake or mentor headlands car show or rally. i thought it might have been your post. Was that you?