Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 monte wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The BCM and the PCM both need programmed for your car if you switch them. A GM Tech II scan tool can do the programming. BUT, just swapping the engine, assuming you used the same engine harness that you car came from (as I'm not sure of differences in other years/cars), then there should be no issues with the PCM/BCM.

THe BCM is located under the driver side kick panel, behind the eBrake pedal (there are 3 wiring harnesses that plug into it and they are tight to the firewall).

THis is not adding up. If you did not have the cal error prior to the engine swap and this fuel pump/starting issue did not occur prior, in theory, it should not be an issue now, it should work.

I'm kinda curious why the Radio is freaking out and if it is related to the starting problem. Such as the BCM died or if something altered/cleared it's programming.....

Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 AM

How did you test your starter ? Is there power to it ?
Did you try to connect the positive & negative on the starter (2 jump it) ?

It's difficult to diagnose a problem with just posted words, but I hope one of our expert tech member's sees your problem(s) and can give you some idea's/solutions

Wish you Good Luck 4-Sure

p.s. Thanks `Jason, Maniac for your help & posts...(I'm learning also by your posts)

Last edited by Space; 07-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
THis is not adding up. If you did not have the cal error prior to the engine swap and this fuel pump/starting issue did not occur prior, in theory, it should not be an issue now, it should work.

I'm kinda curious why the Radio is freaking out and if it is related to the starting problem. Such as the BCM died or if something altered/cleared it's programming.....
Those are my thoughts as well. In order to get a cal err the BCM doesn't recognize the radio as belonging to that vehicle. If everything was hooked back up correctly there is (theoretically) no reason for it not to start.

If the F/PMP RLY & IGN SW fuses tested good then (if you haven't yet) check the PCM/BCM/CLSTR, PCM Crank , CLSTR/BCM and LH/HTD ST/BCM fuses all located in the panel on the end of dash driver side.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM

i agree things arn't adding up. this is why im here haha. im going to check the relays tomorrow to see if they are ok. heres the story tho the engine had a ticking noise, took it to the dealer since i had gotten the powertrain warrenty when i purchesed the car. the said its the lifters and it was a $1,600 dollar job. i took it out since i know i was able to do it myself. two days later i threw a rod. i have two holes in my oil pan. took it back. they told me they'd have to tear down the motor and see what the cause was...........hole in the pan what do you think? called the warrenty company. they were told by the dealer that there was no oil in the motor and that i need to produce all of my oil change records...see where this is going? sooo long story short i was stuck fixing it myself. i wouldn't be surprised if they did something to it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM

i love my car but its all new to me. ive put engines in before. in trucks and cars. my other project is a 87 iroc z. i put the motor in that and didn't have anywhere near the problems im having now lol again i thank you guys for helping

Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM

What is the year of your Buick 3.8L engine that you installed ?

I know over the years there has been many changes/updates on the 3.8 L engines...I don't know if this will help future member's that view your problem, but it can't hurt.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...c-buick-26769/

Above is a link on the Buick 3800 I just bumped to page one of todays threads.

I've been searching the web for same & similar prob's, but I haven't found anything that has not already been posted.
I know it must be frustrating, but just make it a challenge to getting it running & back on the streets...Good Luck again

Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

THis is a little out of my league for Internet troubleshooting, but I had a thought (just not a chance to research it).... The Crank Position Sensor.... My thoughts:
1 - If the PCM does not get a reading from it, could it cause the fuel pump not to engage?
2 - I know if you CHANGE the Crank Position Sensor, a CPS Relearn needs performed. Even though you changed the entire engine, is the PCM seeing this like a new CPS and requires that relearn??

Food for thought. I have NO idea if it's a worth while lead (so I warned you ahead of time).

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
THis is a little out of my league for Internet troubleshooting, but I had a thought (just not a chance to research it).... The Crank Position Sensor.... My thoughts:
1 - If the PCM does not get a reading from it, could it cause the fuel pump not to engage?
2 - I know if you CHANGE the Crank Position Sensor, a CPS Relearn needs performed. Even though you changed the entire engine, is the PCM seeing this like a new CPS and requires that relearn??

Food for thought. I have NO idea if it's a worth while lead (so I warned you ahead of time).
It will still crank with none or a bad CKP, just wont start.

And to everyone suggesting doing a relearn with a Tech 2, it wont do you any good unless you have a GM connect account (GM dealer only).

Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks `Austin, for your post/help & information. I hope our new member's can locate his problem 4-Sure

Part 1 -Crank and Cam Sensor Diagnostic Basics
Click link

What is a crankshaft position sensor
^ Click above link..

Last edited by Space; 07-07-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I think the 'CAL ERR' displayed on the radio is the biggest hint to your problem. Basically, every time you start the vehicle the BCM compares the VIN stored in the radio with what it has in memory. If they don't match CAL ERR is dispayed on the radio. The radio was not replaced, so take it out of the picture. The BCM was not replaced, so there is no reason the stored info should be different from that stored prior to the engine swap. So if the radio and BCM info are still the same then what would cause CAL ERR to be displayed? And why would the fuel pump not prime? And why won't the engine crank? What is the common denominator they all require in order to function correctly? These clues lead me to believe that communication between the BCM and the vehicle has been compromised. Focus on the BCM circuit and I think you'll find your problem. There is a remote possibilty the BCM itself may have malfunctioned, but I would double and triple check all wiring and fuses before replacing the BCM in hopes it will fix the problem. Test your circuits and make sure none of them are open. And test your fuses. I can't stress that enough. I've lost count of how many times a problem has been solved by replacing a fuse that (looking at it) appeared to be in good condition, but when tested it had no continuity.

Quick Reply: 2000 monte wont start