Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): 1999 moonroof clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Default 1999 moonroof clicking

Well went to open my moonroof tonight and it made this clicking/grinding noise as it lifted. I hurried up and closed it as it did the same noise. Did a search didnt see anything about this clicking/grinding noise. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I know when I looked at the car before i bought it it was doing the same thing and the dealer fixed it before i bought it. Thanks for the help

Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Sounds like the gears on the motor are not fully engaged on the gears that move the glass. Could be that the motor is just not mounted tight against the sunroof housing. There are three bolts that hold the motor in place. You would have to drop the headliner to see what's going on there. Could also be that the tracks need a good cleaning and lube. If they are dirty or sticking, that could cause the motor/gears to slip or make noise. Definately easier to check the tracks first. To do that you just remove a couple of bolts from the glass and lift it out. Then you can see the tracks from the top of the roof.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM

I think i have the same problem only mine done work at all. I think my motor/gears are shot. Maybe your are worn?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Well started working on it today, removed the glass and ran it without the glass. Both sliders go back but when closing only the passenger one comes to the front and locks down in the closed position. I have to move the drivers side by hand then lower it by hand till it locks closed. From reading the tech info on a sunroof site i believe that maybe the drivers side guide is broken so i am going to email their tech support to try to confirm. Also pulled the motor, all seems to be ok with it and the gear is not stripped as far as i can tell.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM

here's a link to a website that sells some replacement parts for that sunroof. might be the same one you were looking at.

1995-1999 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo Sunroof Information Page

i recently replaced my entire sunroof assembly - all except the motor and glass. mine had some broken plastic bits and pieces that i could not buy replacements for. i got really lucky one day when i found a working sunroof assembly on a monte in the junkyard. got the whole assembly (less the motor and glass) for $50. so far so good. seems like there's a lot of plastic parts in there though, so who knows how much longer it'll work.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Default Similar problem with sunroof

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum but have had my 98 Z34 for over 15 years. Never had a problem with the sunroof before but now I think the switch went bad. Can open but won't close. Want to pop the switch out and test it but don't want to harm anything and though I've done a lot of work under the hood, never took the headliner off. Does the switch just pop out with a trim tool or do I take the headliner Dow with the switch attached? Hope it's not a bad switch theyve been discontinued and I hadn't seen another even on eBay!!

Thanks in advance!
-D.C.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by DCBones
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum but have had my 98 Z34 for over 15 years. Never had a problem with the sunroof before but now I think the switch went bad. Can open but won't close. Want to pop the switch out and test it but don't want to harm anything and though I've done a lot of work under the hood, never took the headliner off. Does the switch just pop out with a trim tool or do I take the headliner Dow with the switch attached? Hope it's not a bad switch theyve been discontinued and I hadn't seen another even on eBay!!

Thanks in advance!
-D.C.
Check this google link and there are several posts that might be able to help.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...f+repair&spf=1

Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by DCBones
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
-D.C.
check this google link and see if something might help.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...f+repair&spf=1