Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1997 Monte wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Default 1997 Monte wont crank

Hey everyone,
I am new here and I just purchased a 1997 MC LS that has been sitting for a year or more. I cannot get the engine to crank, I put the key in and yes it does have a chip in it and all the lights and accessories work but no crank and the security light is flashing. I went to the dealer and had them make me a new key because I read that sometimes the chips go bad, but that didnt work either. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 AM

We hope the below helps...Good Luck !

Why Won't My Car Start?

Do I need a jump start? Dead battery? Bad starter? Stuck key?

See More About:

If you turn your car key and get nothing, or get anything less than an engine roaring to life, you might be in for a bad day. Starting problems can be very frustrating because there are so many things under the hood that can keep a car from starting. Heck, pretty much everything under the hood can keep the car from starting.In order to troubleshoot a no-start problem, you need to start at the beginning of the line, the battery, and work your way back. Some tests for a no-start problem are simple, others are a pain in the neck and a technical nightmare. Nonetheless, you need to figure out why the car won't start, so we'll try to help. If your key won't turn in the ignition, try this fix.
Electrical No-Start Problems

• Check Your Fuses: Few cars have a fuse associated with the starting system, but before you go monkeying around with everything, check your fuses to be sure it's not that simple.
  • Battery Corrosion: Over time your battery connections can become dirty, or corroded. This corrosion breaks the connection your battery has with the rest of the car, and it won't start. Trycleaning your battery posts and try to start the car again.
  • Dead Battery: The most common reason your car won't start is a dead battery. If you have a battery tester that can measure cranking amps, test your battery to see if it's weak. If you can't test it yourself, you can test the battery indirectly by jump-starting the car. If it starts right away, your problem is most likely a dead battery. Replace the battery, and clean the battery connections to ensure good contact.
  • Bad Igntion Switch: If your battery checks out, but the starter is still silent, it may be a faulty ignition switch. Turn the key to the on position (not all the way to start). If the red warning lights on your dash don't light up (and your battery connections are clean), the ignition switch is bad. If they do light up, turn the key to the start position. The dash warning lights should turn off at this key position (most cars). If you're not sure, turn on the headlights. When you try to start the car, the lights should either dim (a lot) or turn off completely. If they do, your ignition switch should be ok. If not, the switch will need replacement.
  • Bad Starter Connection: Corrosion can not only keep your battery from connecting, it can affect any electrical component, especially the ones exposed to the elements like the starter. If you have a helper, you can test the connection by holding a circuit tester lead on the wire that engages the starter. This is the smaller of the two wires connected to the starter. Be sure no part of your body is near the moving parts of the engine - it could still start at any time! Have a friend turn the key and check the current. If you're getting current to the starter but it ain't spinning, it needs replacement.
If your starter spins freely when you turn the key, the problem lies elsewhere. Now you begin to check the other systems that could keep it from firing up.

PreviousNext

Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since the car has been sitting you may need to do a security relearn. Turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes, then turn the key OFF for 10 seconds. Repeat this 2 more times for a total of 3 cycles. Now try to start the engine.

Other possibilities why an engine won't turn over after sitting are numerous. Have you removed/losened the fan belts? A frozen alternator, ps pump, etc will prevent an engine from cranking. Can you turn the engine over by hand? Have you pulled the starter motor and tested it? Does the battery have a full charge?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Hi mike,
Thanks for the reply, I will try the relearning code I didn't know that. I have a new battery but I haven't tested the starter, in my past experience with starters they would always click if bad and if the engine was locked up you would get a clicking sound also. I only get a faint sound from around the fuse box on the passenger side under the hood, I suspect it is the relay I am hearing.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome to the site. I would go back to all the basics. My wifes car would do nothing at all and i went through everything and it turned out to be a loose connection I was looking so hard for an issue i overlooked obvious.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks Lou,
I will try that also, can you tell me what was loose on your wifes car.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Angry Similar issue

I have a 1997 Monte Carlo; 2 days ago, I went to start it, and NOTHING! I called AAA, and they came-hooked it up, and swears it's the starter. The problem is, I went to go check it today, and there is the FAINT dinging of the key in the ignition, no horn, my lights don't turn on, my radio doesn't turn on, and there's not even a CRANK or click when I turn the key.

In times past, when it didn't start, 2 things happened-either I waited a few & then tried & it started, OR AAA would show up, hook it up, and it would be okay.

ANY IDEAS?

Last edited by 97MC_owner; 05-09-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Symptoms changed
Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by 97MC_owner
I have a 1997 Monte Carlo; 2 days ago, I went to start it, and NOTHING! I called AAA, and they came-hooked it up, and swears it's the starter. The problem is, I went to go check it today, and there is the FAINT dinging of the key in the ignition, no horn, my lights don't turn on, my radio doesn't turn on, and there's not even a CRANK or click when I turn the key.

In times past, when it didn't start, 2 things happened-either I waited a few & then tried & it started, OR AAA would show up, hook it up, and it would be okay.

ANY IDEAS?
battery is dead. you could try jumping it, ask the tow truck operator to hook the cables up. scince the battery lives under the washer fluid tank it's probibly long overdue for a replacement.