Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 04 Monte Carlo AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Default 04 Monte Carlo AC Vents

I just bought a 2004 monte carlo and the AC vents were cracked and not able to move and it really irritated me so i went searching and finally found the vents which was a challenge in itself, but i know in order to put the left three in i have to remove the dash panel,but to install the one on the passenger side i was worried about the airbag on that side do i need to disable the airbag before removing that panel to put vent in? If so how do i disable it?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to worry about any of the air bags. They should not factor into anything with air vent replacement.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 PM

So when i go to remove the passenger panel above the glove compartment i wont have to worry about airbag deployment? Really dont need that happening lol

Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 AM

Take out the airbag fuse, turn on the car and disconnect the battery before anything.... then you won't worry about a thing with the airbag. Just be careful to not crack anything.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 AM

10 Year Member

There is nothing air bag related that is affected with removing the passenger side panel. The air bag is still covered by the plastic sub frame of the dash and when it deploys it actually busts out the top of the dash pad. To pop that part of the dash and put it back in, there are no air bag triggers or wires.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Where is the fuse located? and this is the area im talking about while i was removing the vent from pull a part it looked like the airbag just sat in that area when i removed it which is why im asking (there was no airbag in there of course)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dash.jpg (17.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM

10 Year Member

The air bag is behind that panel, but you have another layer of dash board before you have the bag exposed.

To swap that panel, you are not around any of the bag wiring and you are not close enough to the bag to have a problem.

I've had the entire first layer of my dash apart with the battery connected (heck I popped the air bag out of my steering wheel, bit left it connected to swap wheel controls).

I have had the entire dash apart on my monte a couple years back and that I definitely disconnected the battery for.

The panel you are working with has only a couple of screws and some snap like tabs. No wires to disconnect or reconnect to swap it. When you make the swap, if I recall, one screw is hidden by the main piece of the dash (the piece with the remaining vents). It may be easiest to pull that other piece to (but it has been done without pulling that piece).

Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 PM

well i have to pull that side too cause the middle two vents are in bad condition and i have to replace them too Its crazy how rare these vents are i called every place within an hour of me and noone had them i eventually found someone on ebay to sell me the middle two for 45 but i got the right side one for 3 bucks from pull a part :\ lol.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
There is nothing air bag related that is affected with removing the passenger side panel. The air bag is still covered by the plastic sub frame of the dash and when it deploys it actually busts out the top of the dash pad. To pop that part of the dash and put it back in, there are no air bag triggers or wires.
Most of the dashboards I've taken out usually have the airbag sitting right on top of or around the air vent tubes, and they usually have a paper or something saying "DO NOT TOUCH". That's why I suggested it, but personally, I never think much of the airbag when I do things near it, I know I should but meh. lol I can be hypocritical at times.