Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Dual-Climate problem *09/07/08 Update question help*

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by hhh007
I took the kick panel off on the drivers side and cannot seem to locate the actuator. Is it located way up underneath or near the console? Anyone?

It's kinda up there

Its easier if you take the big square/rectangle piece off, the one below the steering wheel, it looks like your knees would hit it if you got in an accident (sorry I don't know what that piece is called). And take the plastic piece off on the bottom, right above the gas and break pedals. That is if your going to take it out.

By the way mine is still working.

Last edited by 0MC4; 10-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Very good pics, thanks!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM

for those of you that have this intermittently (seem to fix it after messing with the actuator) --likely the problem is a cracked gear inside the actuator, causing the gears to bind occasionally.

my 05 was not getting hot on either side-- i followed the procedure to re-calibrate the actuators and it seems fine now....

Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM

how do you calibrate actuater ihave cool air drivers and luke warm pass

Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Default Seems to be common

We are having the same problem with our 04 Monte Carlo. First the driver's side would not get hot, then all of the sudden we have started to hear a chattering coming from the dash board that seems to have a mind of it's own. Now since it's started to get cold, and we tried to use the heat, of course now the passenger side does not work either. I'm not sure if the chattering has anything to do with the heat or not, has anyone else had a really annoying chattering coming from the dash board area. It will start sometimes when we open the doors, if we use the auto lock key fob and sometimes the car will just be sitting there and the noise will stop. It lasts for anywhere from 10 seconds until what seems like forever but is probably really only a minute.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tazaz
We are having the same problem with our 04 Monte Carlo. First the driver's side would not get hot, then all of the sudden we have started to hear a chattering coming from the dash board that seems to have a mind of it's own. Now since it's started to get cold, and we tried to use the heat, of course now the passenger side does not work either. I'm not sure if the chattering has anything to do with the heat or not, has anyone else had a really annoying chattering coming from the dash board area. It will start sometimes when we open the doors, if we use the auto lock key fob and sometimes the car will just be sitting there and the noise will stop. It lasts for anywhere from 10 seconds until what seems like forever but is probably really only a minute.
Your problem sounds like a relay but I have no clue as to which one or where to start to find it besides popping the hood and looking in the fuse box and when it is making the noise to feel the relays to feel one that is clicking. Someone else on here might be able to help you more.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tazaz

Maybe the chattering is the teeth in the actuator Maybe next time when you hear the sound, reach up there and put your hand on the actuator and see if you can feel it. If its vibrating then you know its actuator.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM

The problem with my 01 LS is that i get no floor heat, works everywhere else.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 AM

have this same problem where the driver side was not hot. and allso had the problem where you can hear the dash making noises. the dash noises are the actuators randomly turning on.... i dont know y. i tried everything to fix my heat. get the new control deck this and that and in the end i just ran jumper wires to my actuator and set it to really hot for the winter and have just been on permanent heat since. i live in michigan so its fine. the thought of anything besides extremely hot makes my teeth chatter. ill try the calibration thing i bet any money that will solve my problem cause iv tried everything else.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Default Fixed in time

Bad connector on A/C control panel was my problem and it now works great . 2004 Monte Carlo no heat on driver side was the issue . Now the solution . Ref. above for removing the front dash panel ( thanks poster ) to get to the A/C control panel . The connector can be hard to remove remembering to push down on the gray tab to release the lock . Rocking the connector side to side works best for me . Try cleaning the sockets and pins an the A/C control panel first with contact cleaner . You may have to rebot control by pulling the battery terminals off for 1 minute . The wires you want for the driver side is A7 yellow and A8 dark blue/white and for the passenger side A9 white/black and A10 dark blue , this Ref. wire diagram from the library computer reference source on their int ra net and not the internet . The A row numbers are stamped on the gray tab ( blue for B ) witch you now have to remove by releasing the 2 locking tabs that are on the outside . To release the wire you need a small eyeglass screwdriver to go into the larger square hole from the front side to release the lock tab ( smaller square hole is the contact socket ) . Carefully pinch socket so it has a better contact . Reinstall socket being very careful to get it in the right position or the system will go wacko ( been there done that ) and rebot the control by pulling the battery terminals for one minute . My plan was to swap wires A7-A8 for A9-A10 and also switching the pair polarity so the motor drives in the proper direction that way to see is the A/C control panel was at fualt but the solution presented itself and didn't go there . Hope this works for you and thanks to the above poster for getting me to a solution .

Quick Reply: 04 Dual-Climate problem *09/07/08 Update question help*