Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Dual-Climate problem *09/07/08 Update question help*

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Actually, my husband got up under the dash on the passenger side and unplugged the passenger side actuator and what do you know, the noise stopped. Now, he has not heat on the driver's side either, seems that actuator has gone out too. Has anyone noticed that Chevy seems to be having A LOT of climator control issues? If you do a google search for heat not working, you will be suprised with how many hits you get.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 AM

I got an '04 SS, and its got the same problem... Passenger heat is warm at best, while drivers side blows cold. Of course I have to find this out when its 10 degrees out. When I start the car, you can hear a gurgling sound, like coolant is bubbling or something. Hopefully not too much of an issue, I got heated seats, and dont mind the cold much, but I just dont want to put it off if its gonna make something major happen.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

GM does seem to have problems with the actuators. I know when i had my TrailBlazer, it was on the fritz. I soon found out it was a know issues with them. I think they used the same actuators on all their cars.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Default To:Utar_303

I bet you the gurgling isn't anything to do with the coolant. I bet it's actually the climate control doors wobbling around because your actuator is bad. When it first started happening to our car, at first, the car would be sitting there parked and there would be this weird chatter that you could hear from 10 feet away. That finally quit and my husband noticed no heat coming out of the passenger's side. Now, this year the driver's side just went out. No warning or anything. I think it's ridiculous that this is a known issue for Chevy and the part is like $35 each and that is only if you have the time and knowledge to take the dash apart and replace the stupid things yourself. This issue is not living up the standards that I have come to expect from Chevy.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM

I have read all of the articels and checked everything and still no cold air on the drivers side,

Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM

i know this thread is old...
but i got an 04 SS and im having the same problem. except i think its the passenger side thats fritzin out.

since its hot out, of course, i keep them both turned all the way down to cold. the driver side is cold, but the passenger side is blowing hot. not sure if its actual heat or if its just taking in air from the outside (cuz its so hot out)

any help would be much appreciated

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Issues here too... Both sides work as they should, i.e. hot and cold, but since I had my A/C recharged, the driver side blows slightly less cold than the passenger. Its going back Thursday to double check for leaks. My mechanic said sometimes for whatever reason when they start to get a little low on refrigerant, one side is warmer than the other. If its not that, then I have actuator problems. I don't know what will be more expensive in my case.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM

mine has been screwing up for about a week, and started working fine today. im guessing its a wiring problem? sine the 04's are electric.

god i hope its not the actuator

Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM

My '02 Explorer stopped throwing heat in the middle of winter. You can hear the motor in the dash clicking trying to switch the blend door, or whatever it supposed to be doing. In this case, its about $500-$1000 (depending on the shop) to rip the dash out and replace a 50 dollar part. I've already repaired/replaced the transmission twice, front differential once, 2 wheel bearings with a third out right now, and the rear differential had a whine that quieted down a bit after changing the oil in it. I may even be forgetting some things. I'm selling it for whatever I can get out of it, because I'm tired of throwing money at it. Hopefully in your case with the Monte it won't be as expensive and will be worth the repair.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Default My experience

Well, I can tell you, we had two different things happen. For the passenger side actuator, it started making this horrible chattering, and then after a while, it simply stopped working. On the driver's side, there was never any noise. It stopped working, then worked again for a while, then stopped working permenantly.

Quick Reply: 04 Dual-Climate problem *09/07/08 Update question help*