Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 04 Cruise Control suddenly gone - no light on steering wheel or dash panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 06:53 PM
Default 04 Cruise Control suddenly gone - no light on steering wheel or dash panel

So I just bought my monte about a year ago. I knew it was a little rough around the edges when I bought it at 230K miles with weird, mostly cosmetic issues that are a whole nother issue lol, but thankfully, no real mechanical issues. About a month ago, my cruise control randomly stopped working. The light on the steering wheel doesn't come on when I press to turn it on and it doesn't engage at all so no light on the dash.
I don't know if it's connected in any way, but I know I need a new (I think it's called) combination switch, the one that has the turn signal indicators and windshield wiper controls.
I tried to read through some of the other posts regarding cruise control issues and just want to make sure that I didn't miss any potential causes or things to check. I figure the fuse is going to be the easiest to check so plan on doing that as soon as I go back outside, but I think I read that it could also be the ignition switch needing replaced? Would that cause any other noticeable issues? And then I also read about the switches under the dash connected to the break pedal, which I am thinking would be an easier replacement than the ignition switch (and air bag involvement). But what is the component needing checked/replaced that attaches to the brake pedal called? Am I missing anything?

Also, totally unrelated but any recommendations/advice on replacing the driver's side weather stripping from the middle of the top of the door all the way to the outer edge? Not the window seal, but the rubber on the outside of the door itself. Anytime it rains, my floorboards end up soaked because that whole chunk of rubber weather stripping broke off.