Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

03 monte will not start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Default 03 monte will not start up

hi guys, when i turn the key in an attempt to crank up the ss it will not crank, sputter, show signs of starting, etc. it just pretends as if im turning the car in the on position. (car IS in park position) another wierd thing is when i open the door i get no dome lights. also when i turn the car off and remove the key my trunk pops open ! so confusing! when i try to lock the door it will lock BUT i dont get the confirmation HONK that im used to hearing. and all of this started happening this evening once i arrived home. anyone of have any suggestions or have had this issue before? thanks in advance!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Default RE: 03 monte will not start up

sounds like another bcm issue but a very odd one, does it start sometimes or never? if it does start does ur CEL come on

Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM

well, mine didn't do all that, but i had issues not too long ago. do yourself a favor and check the battery voltage. if its below 10v its probably not gonna start the car. mine did some really crazy stuff, like not turning off, security light coming on, dash lights and gauges flipping out. it was really nutty.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM

it did that when ur battery was drained? thats really wierd

Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

ugh ......... a frustrating update .............. i left it alone for a few hours, borrowed my dad's hack around car and hit the bar. when i make it to my house i said let me give it a try again, and it started up fine. i say its frustrating because i did no troubleshooting to get it back up other than wait 5 - 5 hours and tried again. i dont want this happening to me anymore while im on the road or anything. *thing i think i should mention*, i have a monster amp with 4 12's in the trunk however (im assuming) thats never prevented me from cranking up. while it wasnt staring, i didnt hear anything under the hood struggling towork while i turned the key so im hella confused. thanks kweef and 03, does it sound like a possible alternator issue?

Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM

doesnt sound like an alternator issue because ur battery was apparantly not dead and ur alternator cannot charge if the car is off so something else is goin on

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM

yeah, its gotta be something else. start from the source when diagnosing. Start at the battery, check the connections at the post. check resistance on the battery cables, check the wires going to the starter. its the easiest stuff to check, and eliminate the easy stuff first. kweef is right, its more than likely not the alternator, cause it won't charge the battery if its not running, now if you were driving down the road, losing voltage and then the car dies that would be an alternator. and by the way that happens really fast too. kweef yeah my car did all kinds of crazy crap, i thought it was going nuts.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 PM

loose connection isnt a bad place to start altho it seems like there is sumtin more...make sure ur fuses are in all the way 2

Old 11-22-2008, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. id like to mention that it happened to me a 2nd time while i was at my local cornerstore. car would not crank at all, no dome lights, etc.and id check all connections and wires on battery etc.

however the wierdest thing corrected the issue . . . . . . . i removed and reinserted one of the 10amp fuses (not replaced because the fuse was not blown). just took it out and put it back in. and you can hear the gadget behind my speedometer make a noise as if it was resetting or something. the inside light came back on too so i gave it a crank and it was succesful........ really wierd. 2morrow morning ill go read which fuse that was that i took out(fyi= according to the diagram that is the correct fuse size for whatever slot its in.) thanks guys ill keep you posted.