Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Monte Carlo SS will not start. ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Default 2004 Monte Carlo SS will not start. ignition?

Went to install an iPod adapter through stereo. Does removing the stereo from factory harness inable a security feature? After removing the stereo and putting dash back together, went to start the car, but will not turn from the off position in the ignition.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM

are u using the same factory stereo?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by captaindamnit
are u using the same factory stereo?

yes. put key in ignition, wiggle, jiggle key. wont move outta off position. To remove stereo, i had to remove dash around stereo wheel/ignition cover (just popped out with flat head strewdriver)

Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM

you possibly could have touched a power wire to a ground wire or any bare metal, and blew a fuse, maybe i know that has happened to me in a previous vehicle of mine. does anything elese work??

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM

lights go. keyless entry remote work to unluck/lock/alarm horn/open trunk. CD will eject CD in the stereo. head lights turn on. wipers. Just seems like the ignition cylinder will not move. Maybe a wire with the ignition switch? Is the passlock security system in an 2004 Monte Carlo? I did unplugg the factory stereo. Maybe that enables a security feature?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM

im sorry i really have no idea, ummm check your fuses, check your gear shift, ill check up here and maybe ill get an idea from something somone says. but for now ill just hope for the best for you.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 PM

check whatever fuse is for your gearshift.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM

in the owners manual, i do not see anything for "gear shift" fuse. I see a few related to iginition. From driver sides fuse panel (PCM/BCM/CLSTR) Powertrain Control Module, Body Control Module, Cluster (Ignition 0)... Then for underhood fuse black (upper), theres a few ignition related fuses: CRANK RLY.... Underhood fuse black LOWER: IGN RELAY, IGN SWITCH, IGNITION RELAY, AIR PUMP..

hope that makes sense.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

well i personaly would check all of them, again im not the most knowlegabe person when it comes to these things. it wouldnt be "gear shift" fuse anyway, just something along those lines. sorry i cant really help, im sure someone here will come forth with there knowlege and help more than i can though, just be patiant someone will help oyu out.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM

there shouldn't be any fuses or relays stopping the ignition from turning, but iwould check them just to be sure. check to make sure that the steering wheel didn't lock. if it did try moving it side to side while trying the key. if this doesn't work it could just be coincidence that it happened at the same time, there is a spring retainer inside the tumbler housing that fails and the only fix is to drill a hole through the tumbler (this is where you go to a dealer or a really good independant garage for this job) to push the retainer spring and remove the tumbler. the pass lock sensor needs to be reprogrammed at this point which is actually real easy. but the drilling is like brain surgery one wrong move makes it costly.

sorry about your luck if the steering wheel isn't locked.

Quick Reply: 2004 Monte Carlo SS will not start. ignition?