Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 03' Monte Carlo is multi cylinder misfire and now won't start

Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Default 03' Monte Carlo is multi cylinder misfire and now won't start

My 03' ss threw the fault code for random/multiple cylinder misfire on my way home one day. We came across one of the coil packs wasn't throwing spark so we got a new one. A couple of days had passed by the time I got the new one and before I went to replace it I went to check the battery level and ended up starting the car out of habit and it attempted to start then died right away. (Up till this point I had started it several times and it would run like crap but it would always start). replaced the coil pack and it wouldn't start and the new coil pack wasn't throwing spark so we replaced the whole thing ( the ignition control module and all three packs) and it still won't start. Any ideas what would be keeping it from starting?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mxsolid
My 03' ss threw the fault code for random/multiple cylinder misfire on my way home one day. We came across one of the coil packs wasn't throwing spark so we got a new one. A couple of days had passed by the time I got the new one and before I went to replace it I went to check the battery level and ended up starting the car out of habit and it attempted to start then died right away. (Up till this point I had started it several times and it would run like crap but it would always start). replaced the coil pack and it wouldn't start and the new coil pack wasn't throwing spark so we replaced the whole thing ( the ignition control module and all three packs) and it still won't start. Any ideas what would be keeping it from starting?
Are you getting juice to the coils? If not, it's either the battery or the alternator. If you are, I'm clueless.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you went for the gusto and changed all the coils and ICM, have you verified if you are getting spark at this point? If so, how did you validate spark?

Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Since you went for the gusto and changed all the coils and ICM, have you verified if you are getting spark at this point? If so, how did you validate spark?
By pulling the end of each of the spark plugs wires off the coil packs one at a time and attempting to start it. The coil pack ends throw plenty of spark and I doubt that it's the plugs because i replaced all of them about 2 months ago.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:32 AM

I would check for fuel pressure and see if your injectors are firing. I’ve seen all injectors go bad before. Bad/old fuel, debris, etc. h

Old 05-18-2018, 02:05 PM

Ohm the spark plug wires. I had the same problem once and one of the plug wire ends were broken and it was not easily detected via eye sight.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check those options. It was also suggested that the Camshaft sensor could have went out because of something that we did when we were initially testing it. How difficult is that to replace?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 PM

I can't speak for camshaft, because I haven't touched that. If you're getting spark, I would test fuel pressure. There's a release valve on the rail, and you can test pressure there. I would make sure you're getting the right amount there before you go messing with hard stuff, because it's really easy to test.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 AM

Figured I'd update the outcome. It turned out to be the camshaft sensor. Replaced it and it started right away.