Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

02 SS Headlight Intermittenly quits briefly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Gib
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 02 SS Headlight Intermittenly quits briefly?

The car has over 200,000 miles on it. I don't drive the car to much so it doesn't happen to me; but, my 17yo daughter says the headlights quit briefly then come back on while driving. So far I guessing I will replace the relay and then do the switch next?

Anyone else have this happen to them? I've got to figure out where the relay is also.?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gib
The car has over 200,000 miles on it. I don't drive the car to much so it doesn't happen to me; but, my 17yo daughter says the headlights quit briefly then come back on while driving. So far I guessing I will replace the relay and then do the switch next?

Anyone else have this happen to them? I've got to figure out where the relay is also.?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem and it was the Multi-Function Switch on the steering column. My switch was also not maintaining the high beams on. The switch is fairly expensive ($270).

I had also removed my relay and checked it (on the back side of the left fuse panel, not easy to get at) and it was good.

Check the relay first, and there is a fuse in the engine compartment DLR/EXT lamp fuse (15A), which could also be the issue. Technically the headlamp switch (dimmer) could be the problem also, just didn't have that on my 02 LS.

Also, if you jiggle the MFS and the lights come back on, likely that is the problem.

Those four items are really all that could be problem, assuming no opens/shorts in the associated wiring.

Good luck - Bryan

Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Gib
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hmmm

I'm guessing that the MFS is the highbeam on / off momentary selector on the turnsignal. Wow $270 is expensive just for the part. With the airbag on the steering wheel I'm not looking forward to changing that.

I'm going to ask her to touch the switches if it happens again. I had access to the car the other day and couldn't get the relay cover off. the bolt head that I can't see without a mirror must not be metric. I'll dig into it on my next day off.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah the MFC is the highbeam/turnsignal/window wiper switch on the steering column.

As for the relay, the only way I was able to get at it was by taking the two panel below the steering column and the plate that is behind it to get enough room to get at the back of the fuse panel where the relay is located.

It is a pain to get at, fortunately I was already replacing my ignition switch when this happened so I had most of that stuff off already.

As for the MFC, replacing it is not that difficult, you just need to remove the fuse for the air bag and the negative side of the battery. The manual also recommends you disconnect the air bag, it is the yellow wire following under your steering column.

All in all, the relay is hard to get at but cheap to replace, the MFC is not too hard to get at but fairly expensive, cheapest one I found was from Auto Zone.