Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

The Last Time I Let Someone Borrow My Monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Thumbs down The Last Time I Let Someone Borrow My Monte

Hey guys,

BIIIG problems here. I let my wife's brother borrow my Monte Carlo for a week. Due to some family problems he had to make a trip that his car wouldn't make. Now, I'm all for helping out with her family. But, I was EXTREMELY hesitant to let someone drive my car. Hell, I barely even let the wife IN it. Against my better judgement, I allowed him to take it.

He drove it home to me last night, and I drove to work this morning. I made it about a block from my house before I had to pull over. It felt like my tire had a huge bubble on it. It felt like I was bouncing around while driving. So, I stopped and checked all 4 of them. I don't have any bubbles, but the outside of my front drivers side tire is worn down significantly more than the rest of the tire.

I (cautiously) made my way to work, and noticed that the feeling is most easily felt doing about 20-30 mph. After that, it smooths out until about 45-50mph. Then, smooths back out again. I didn't go any faster than 55, for fear of safety.

Now, I have been having some trouble with my ABS light, my TRAC OFF light, and my CEL, all coming on, and my "Service Traction System" message. Which, from what I read, is probably a bad sensor, or hub. Only happened randomly before he borrowed the car. Don't really think the two are related. But, that's the only other problem I've been having.

I'm really not too sure what could be my problem, or what he could've done to it. But, I am not a very happy camper today. Any, and all help would be great, guys! I'm really worried about driving my car like this.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say the hub just happened to go.

As it was starting to go already, perhaps they just drove the car a little too hard.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm the same way no one & I mean no one drives my car! But my Hub also needs to be replaced. have the same lights and thing happen to me Once it gets warmer I'm going to see what I can do... Try & leave your Traction turn Off. Hope things turn around for ya buddy!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Chibi. I just skimmed over your "How-To" on hub replacement, and I suppose that I will have to go ahead and give it a shot.

Where did you get your assembly from? I can get a duralast from Autozone for about 93 bucks..Is that a decent price for one?

@Oh3 : That's what I had been doing prior to him taking the car. But, now, as soon as I drop it into gear the lights pop on. Are you having the "wobbling" problem as well? How long has your been like that? How safe is it to drive it like it is?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Cibi, sounds like you hub was beginning to have issues. If those issues were beyond just the internal ABS sensor, then the hub could have been causing spotty tire wear.
Perhaps the guy who borrowed the car drove it a little harder then you do, but if the hub was failing, it's tough to say what/who exactly caused that tire wear.

As long as nothing else it out of sorts, then it may not be the borrower's fault... I'd get the hub and tire changed.

As a side note, I'm neverous of who borrows my cars too (hence why it's almost never that anyone borrows a car from my driveway).

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree with Cibi, sounds like you hub was beginning to have issues.As long as nothing else it out of sorts, then it may not be the borrower's fault... I'd get the hub and tire changed.
As a side note, I'm neverous of who borrows my cars too (hence why it's almost never that anyone borrows a car from my driveway).
I agree it sounds like hub bearing.. I'm neverous who borrows my cars too.,My 17 year old son borrowed the Monte SS to go to homecoming and I was neverous all night..But it turned out ok..

Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

IDK about your wife's brother, but MY wife's brother ain't driving ANY of my vehicles. He's trashed a good 5 vehicles in the past 3-4 years. He's the type that *thinks* he know's what he's doing until he gets his car half apart and realizes that he's in way over his head. I don' think i'd let him drive a paper airplane let alone my monte!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02ssLE
Where did you get your assembly from? I can get a duralast from Autozone for about 93 bucks..Is that a decent price for one?
Get a Timken from Amazon.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does sound like a hub issue.If your getting that much vibration/wobble I wouldn't drive it.I've seen the end result of one when it gernade's an it's not cheap.My girls durango had a hub gernade an it took out the knuckle,rotor.pads,half-shaft,rim,tire,shock,an tie rod end.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM

i like the SKF hubs better than Timken's productus

Quick Reply: The Last Time I Let Someone Borrow My Monte