Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

02 monte blower switch bad ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Default 02 monte blower switch bad ??

Hey guys, I have a 02 monte and my blower switch only works from number 3 on , If i set it on 1 or 2 it doesnt work. Would this be a bad switch or would it be the blower motor ???

Thanks for any help

Old 11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Default RE: 02 monte blower switch bad ??

Ok, after doing some research on the matter i see they have bad blower motor resistors, Now where is this located ???

Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Well since i didnt get any help here, i just went at it and fixed it myself [&:]

For all of you that are in search of fixing this problem here is the whats and wheres.

If you had the problem that i had ( blower motor doesnt work on low speeds ) It is the Blower Motor Resistor, Cost $ 24.00 at Auto Zone

Now for the location It is on the passenger side under the dash , Remove the cover ,there are 2 clips to press in and 1 plastic fastener to remove.

You will see the blower motor there in the middle, Now the resistor is behind the blower motor right against the engine wall !!!!! Remove the wire clip to the blower motor and the bigger clip of wires on the resistor.

NOW FOR THE FUN PART [:@] There are 3 screws that hold it in 7/32 socket, 1 in the front and 2 in the back that are almost impossible to get !!!! ( you will see )

Heres a tip : You just have to remove the one in the front completely and just "loosen" the 2 rear screws ( the resistor has slots where the screws go so you can tilt it down and slide it out once the screws are loose)

I Hope i have helped someone with this Good luck !!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Thanks this helped a lot [sm=smiley20.gif]I'm glad that you posted your results even though noone helped you out.

I ended up just pulling the part out with pliers because I couldn’t get the last screw loose. This whole thing looks fried on the back side. Must have been from all the water leaking into the car from the bad windshield replacement job! Go figure

Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM

I have replaced the resistor 3 times on my wifes 2000 LS. Same symptoms only had 3&4, Got mine from the dealer I used to work for and was told there was a redesign on them. They went to a different circuit card cause the old ones couldn't handle the heating/cooling cycles.The first 2 were first design, replaced both in same year, new one has been in for a little over a year and working so far. Be careful with the aftermarket ones I have talked to people who have gone that route and had to replace them very often. Some of them are less reliable than the OE first version.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I remember right, the upgraded version has the resistor wires cast in epoxy, right? Mine went out on my '01. I attributed it to my 12" in the trunk, but I guess it's common.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by yzf125
Well since i didnt get any help here, i just went at it and fixed it myself [&:]

For all of you that are in search of fixing this problem here is the whats and wheres.

If you had the problem that i had ( blower motor doesnt work on low speeds ) It is the Blower Motor Resistor, Cost $ 24.00 at Auto Zone

Now for the location It is on the passenger side under the dash , Remove the cover ,there are 2 clips to press in and 1 plastic fastener to remove.

You will see the blower motor there in the middle, Now the resistor is behind the blower motor right against the engine wall !!!!! Remove the wire clip to the blower motor and the bigger clip of wires on the resistor.

NOW FOR THE FUN PART [:@] There are 3 screws that hold it in 7/32 socket, 1 in the front and 2 in the back that are almost impossible to get !!!! ( you will see )

Heres a tip : You just have to remove the one in the front completely and just "loosen" the 2 rear screws ( the resistor has slots where the screws go so you can tilt it down and slide it out once the screws are loose)

I Hope i have helped someone with this Good luck !!!!
Thank you for the information!
Was going to dig into the exact issue on my 2002 SS tomorrow. Now I know what to do. Came home from work last night with heat on at #3 setting WAY TOO HOT! Had to move towards cold setting.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Thank you for posting this. My blower only blew on 3 and 5. Like Huckster said #3 will melt your face off. I got another blower resistor from Advance for $33. I don't know how yall are getting the stock one out. I got the first screw out but the second one gave me hell so I just plugged in the new one and tested it. It gave me speeds 1-2-3 and 5. I'm taking it back today to exchange. Hopefully one will give me all speeds.