General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Problem with Fan/Blower Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Red face Problem with Fan/Blower Switch

Hope all is well! I've a 2000 Monte Carlo LS (3.4) engine with 96,000 miles. I seem to be having a problem with the switch that control the blower motor. The switch has like five different setting (i.e, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). The problem is that the switch only has one speed which is "5". Does this means that the switch is bad or what? Has anyone had this problem or is familiar with this problem? Are these difficult to replace? Thanks for any assistance! Take care!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

seems kinda familar with this..... I just did a a copy and paste from an old thread, hope it gives you some good info!

mnmtw

02. I lost fan blower on 1,2,&3. 4&5 are fine.
I thought it might be a fuse but I haven't found anything blown. Any help Please. Thanks

RocknSS04

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

You have a blown resistor block. It's way up under the dash on the passenger side. Above the heater box, I believe. Make sure you get the newer heavy duty version, encased in epoxy when you get one.About $35 at the dealer. Don't hold me to that. It'e been more than a few years now.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM

+1 to the resistor, I've replaced dozens in gm. Sometimes you need to replace the connector as well, but thats close to $100

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Red face

Thanks for responding! Need more details! What exactly does +1 to the resistor means? Where is it located? What is the cost?

Originally Posted by labnjab
+1 to the resistor, I've replaced dozens in gm. Sometimes you need to replace the connector as well, but thats close to $100

Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM

I was just agreeing that it was the resistor. I'm not sure exactly where its located on the monte, but on most vehicles its somewhere in the heater box on the passenger side. Its usually held in by 2 or 3 small bolts and usually has a 5 or 6 wire connector. IME on a lot of gm vehicles, the connector will melt to the resistor so you will need to replace both the connector and resistor, and both can be purchased at the dealer. The resistor is usually under $50 and the connector is close to $100

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Wink

Thanks, i hope i don't need the connector, (gosh)..........maybe i can find one at a junk yard).

I was just agreeing that it was the resistor. I'm not sure exactly where its located on the monte, but on most vehicles its somewhere in the heater box on the passenger side. Its usually held in by 2 or 3 small bolts and usually has a 5 or 6 wire connector. IME on a lot of gm vehicles, the connector will melt to the resistor so you will need to replace both the connector and resistor, and both can be purchased at the dealer. The resistor is usually under $50 and the connector is close to $100

Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM

U may be able to get the connector from the junk yard, but 8 out of the last 10 gm resistors ive changed ( i work at a family owned garage) needed the harness so a junkyard one may be melted too. Most were on trucks and not cars so you may get lucky and not need it.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Smile

FYI,

You were exactly correct; I replaced the blower motor resistor at cost of $28 at Auto Zone. What a job! Had to lay on my back the entire time. Also had to remove the blower motor. I would think GM could have found a better location to install that device. My back is still a little sore. I appreicate you help so much. If I had taken this vehicle to a dealership, i'm sure it would have costed me over $100. Take Care! I'm sure I will be back on here for more help in the future. I just posted another thread yesterday on reagarind a problem that I'm having with my ABS light being on all the time. See ya.................My fan is working ON all settings thank to you and this website).

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
seems kinda familar with this..... I just did a a copy and paste from an old thread, hope it gives you some good info!

mnmtw

I thought it might be a fuse but I haven't found anything blown. Any help Please. Thanks

RocknSS04

You have a blown resistor block. It's way up under the dash on the passenger side. Above the heater box, I believe. Make sure you get the newer heavy duty version, encased in epoxy when you get one.About $35 at the dealer. Don't hold me to that. It'e been more than a few years now.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Smile

Hi,

You were exactly correct; I replaced the blower motor resistor at cost of $28 at Auto Zone. What a job! Had to lay on my back the entire time. Also had to remove the blower motor. I would think GM could have found a better location to install that device. My back is still a little sore. I appreicate you help so much. If I had taken this vehicle to a dealership, i'm sure it would have costed me over $100. Take Care! I'm sure I will be back on here for more help in the future. I just posted another thread yesterday on reagarind a problem that I'm having with my ABS light being on all the time. See ya.................My fan is working ON all settings thank to you and this website).

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831

mnmtw

RocknSS04

Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 PM

Ok. So...Only had speeds 1,2,3,4 no 5. Changed Resistor. Still no 5. What now?

Quick Reply: Problem with Fan/Blower Switch