Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 SS Dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

OK after a lot of searching. There is no draw on the battery. Just put new one in and still does the same thing. Took it to someone to find out if they could figure it out and all that anyone can figure out is the computer is bad. This is gonna hurt!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are your terminals or grounds dirty??

Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Are your terminals or grounds dirty??
I second that question and couple that with post #8.

Verify connections on the battery are clean of debris and corrosion, check your starter connections for the same (I had dirty start connections that caused the car to loose power momentarily while driving). Make sure your battery cables are in good health (a former mechanic told me to see if the cable looks "pregnant" with buldges in it as a result of internal corrosion). Make sure your battery mounting hardware is is good health. I just dealt with a car where the positive battery bolt on in the cable had "flattened" threads and you could not get a solid and tight connection, resulting in sometimes she started and other times she didn't. Luckly, it did not appear to have signifcany damage to the female connection on the battery, replaced the bolt and life was good (so far).

Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Chibi and Maniac, yes the cables are ok. I took them off and checked them out. Also eliminated the factory amp when I took it out of the car and it still died overnight. Now it seems to be hit and miss. one day its dead and the next its not. And I am getting codes for things that I didnt before. Check engine light and Service traction control System and none of this before the car started dying. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen parts stores do two different battery tests. One is while it's in the car while doing an alternator test. The other is out of the car and testing it by itself.

I know you mentioned the parts store tested it while testing the alternator and I double checked, you mentioned it is a pretty new battery. Have you had a parts store test JUST the battery, outside of the car? This test would be more conclusive if the battery has a dead cell or not. If you don't want to go that road, if you can swap batteries with another vehicle, see if the problem follows the car or the battery.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I read it as he JUST replaced the battery after giving up on other tests.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Chibi-No I didnt give up. I had the problem, replaced the battery and it still keeps happening and have run all the tests before and after the switching of the batteries.

Maniac-I will try to see if I can, if not I will just take it out and have them test it out of the car.

Thanks again you all.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Did you ever find out what was draining your battery?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gmjunkyard
Did you ever find out what was draining your battery?
I don't think this user uses the site anymore.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Thank You for the update. His loss.

Quick Reply: 01 SS Dies overnight