Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 SS Dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Default 01 SS Dies overnight

I just bought this car about 6 months ago. I am having trouble with the car dying overnight. New battery, only a month old. Used to die if I didnt drive it for a weekend, but now it dies overnight. I checked all the fuses and even unhooked the factory amp overnight. Also I had ORielly's check the alternator and the starter and they said it was good. Still cant figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Does the car have an aftermarket CD deck? Any other aftermarket add ons that could possibly be staying on after the car is turned off? Also, do all the dome/courtesy lights go out when the doors are closed? Trunk light as well?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 PM

No it still has the factory CD/Radio in it. All lights are out as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Still no luck. 2 days of searching and pulling fuses. Guess its time to call a garage to see if they can find it!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it could be a bad cell in the battery?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get the battery load tested, just because it is new doesn't mean it isn't bad.

If it is dying overnight the battery is either bad, or there is a drain. If you have a multimeter than you can see if it has the load while the car is off?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM

I had the battery tested along with the starter and alternator and Oriellys said it was good, battery needs charged. I explained to him it dies overnight. Thanks I might try to replace battery again.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DisturbedMind
I had the battery tested along with the starter and alternator and Oriellys said it was good, battery needs charged. I explained to him it dies overnight. Thanks I might try to replace battery again.
Did the guy at the parts store say anything about the alternator??

Also, you may want to check connections at the battery, starter and alternator for corrosion. Literally, take them off, clean the terminals with a wire brush and re-connect.

Potentally, you could have a poor connection and the battery won't charge like it should. I've even heard of the battery wires corroding from the inside.

I had a car that would loose all electrical power while driving, which shut down the engine (lasted about 5 seconds any time it did it, so you could pop into neutral, restart and back into gear and away you went). Problem was dirty connections at the starter.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If it is dying overnight the battery is either bad, or there is a drain. If you have a multimeter than you can see if it has the load while the car is off?
x2. If you don't have a multimeter, see if an auto parts store will let you borrow one and use it in their parking lot. To check for current drain, disconnect the negative battery cable. Then hook up the multimeter between the negative battery post and the disconnected negative battery cable. Make sure the multimeter is set to a high current/amp setting just in case you do have a drain; otherwise you'll fry the multimeter. If you get no / very low reading, move the multimeter setting progressively to a lower current range. A reading of about 15 - 30 milliamps is about normal. To drain your battery overnight, it would probably have to be significantly higher.

If no current drain is found, then bad connections already mentioned are likely the culprit.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks all. I will keep trying to find it. All good info. If and when I find it I will let you all know. Hard to keep on it when you work 2nd shift though!

Quick Reply: 01 SS Dies overnight