Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 monte cooling system problems

Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Default 01 monte cooling system problems

I was told I needed new intake manifold gasket i look it up on internet and word is dexcool eats away gaskets made of nylon so i change gasket last year this year i got a rad flush and rad light came on once and while i got guy hook it up to computer he say it say temperature not right coolant level is high temp gauge works if i unhook battery but then stops working after awile fan stays on when car is off does anyone else have these problems

Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Default RE: 01 monte cooling system problems

I had a similar problem with my '01 LS. Temp gauge would completely drop out, and low coolant light would come on, even though there was coolant in the radiator and overflow tank. Every time that happened, the air conditioning would cut out too (this was last summer).

I couldn't figure it out. Thought it would be the low coolant level sensor, or something else.

Turned out my thermostat was sticking open and the PCM didn't like that.

Pull your radiator cap and see if there's brown sludge on the bottom of it or around the neck of the radiator.

I'd also try a new thermostat. It's an ~$5 part, and an easy fix.
If that doesn't do it, check the low coolant sensor (especially if there is brown sludge in the radiator).

-Riggs.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM

can you give me the steps to changing the thermostat i have one went to install it using the hughes book but description not very good or can you just tell me where on the motor it is located and there is sludge in my radiator

Old 01-31-2009, 12:52 PM

There is a hose coming off the radiator on the top of the radiator on the drivers side.

Follow that hose to the engine. There will be a metal housing that attaches to your intake manifold. There will be two bolts that hold the thermostat housing on (on the SS they are two 10mm bolts). Remove those and pry out the thermostat, taking care not to destroy any gaskets.
Put the new thermostat in (make sure you move the old o-ring to the new t-stat if it doesn't have a new o-ring, and also make sure you replace any gaskets that you pulled off), and then bolt the housing back on.
After that you can bleed the air out of the system

As far as the sludge on the radiator cap, you should probably drain and flush your radiator and replace it with fresh coolant. Make sure that you do not mix dexcool and standard green coolant. This causes the brown sludge, and is terrible for your cooling system.

Good luck,
Riggs.