General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bleeding Air From Cooling System?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bleeding Air From Cooling System?

While doing the Plugs and Wires I spent a good deal of time under the hood of my Monte. I was doing Fluid Checks when I found the Coolant Overflow Tank way low of Coolant. Since the car was cold; I undid the Radiator Cap and checked to find a Low Coolant condition. I filled the Radiator and the Overflow Tank with a 50 - 50 Mix of the DEX-GM Orange Coolant; but I'm sure that there is Air in the system.

How or what is the easiest way to get any air in the Cooling System Out? Or, ... will it work it's way out through the Overflow tank at some time?

Comments?
Suggestions?

Happy Holiday's to all,

Rick Massey

Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Bleeding Air From Cooling System?

if your only topping it off then you shouldn't have to worry about air in the system. What is there will burp out the overflow. If you drain the block then you have to make sure all the head passages get the air out. I think you should be OK

Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM

yah u should b fine, but if ur still lookin for vents just to b safe check out ur owners manual...find coolant system in the index and read thru it, the locations of the vents should b there

Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found it. A little Brass or Bronze Bleed Screw on the Inlet to the block just after where the Radiator Hose attaches. I was wondering if I should have the Engine running when I open that Bleeder. How long does it take for Air to find its way through the whole system and eventually get evacuated from that little Bleeder ... (There seems to be a second one going into the Heater Core line too) ... The Overflow Tank has this little "Gooseneck" that has an air bubble in the top of it that looks like the fluid wouldn't flow into the Overflow Tank to Radiator Cap Connecting Hose, either.