Meets & Gatherings Having a meet or gathering? Looking for one? Let your fellow enthusiasts know! Got pictures from a meet? Post 'em here too. We love pics!

Unable to open driver's door.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Default Unable to open driver's door.

Hello Group,

I have an 87 Monte SS and it's been a very reliable vehicle. However, due to it's age, things go wrong. I had a door handle mechanism linkage clip break on me last fall. This left me unable to open the driver's side door from the outside. By removing the panels from inside the vehicle, I managed to open the door, from the inside, although I honestly don't know how I managed to do it. Anyway, I stored the vehicle for the winter and now I can't get the door open at all. I think the door latching mechanism is frozen ( not do to cold ) or jammed. Can anyone give me an idea as to what to do to open the door? Before anyone tries to be smart, the door is unlocked. I would rather not take it to the dealer or a garage because few mechanics know anything about older cars.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Without being there to see how the linkage from the door handle is supposed to connect it is difficult to tell you how to trigger the actuator. The only thing I can suggest is remove the door panel from the passenger door, watch how the linkage operates when you open the door and replicate that action on the actuator in the driver side door to open it.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!