MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

Obnoxious pop-up ads

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This pop up appeared this morning when I clicked the 'off topic' link. After killing the process I ran a couple of my favorite anti-virus and malware programs, cleared all history, temp files, caches, etc and rebooted. My 'puter is clean. I went to the Oracle web site and I am not in need of an update for any Java programs. I have a feeling you will be infected with a virus or malware if you actually click the link on the page.

Attached Thumbnails Obnoxious pop-up ads-redirect.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Yup.

These java update redirects are DEFINITELY malicious. Sometimes it's a script caused by a bad URL originating from the local machine (your computer), but I believe it may also be caused by a rogue advertisement serving a bad link.

We're still trying to investigate this because it is very sporadic and limited to very few users, but it is a persisting problem that we're very aware of.

I'm glad everybody else was able to chime in about running the various adware/malware scans and getting the proper adblocking software installed. Also, to echo Chibi--screencaps and URL addresses where the redirects are going would be appreciated!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM

This is the URL for the 'OK' button on that bogus Java page:

Java-Recommended Update

The 'Install' link under the 'OK' I don't know, but I'm not going to click 'OK' to find out.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
This is the URL for the 'OK' button on that bogus Java page:

Java-Recommended Update

The 'Install' link under the 'OK' I don't know, but I'm not going to click 'OK' to find out.
"downloadrequired-updates.com" is certainly NOT a valid Java link, nor is it a link that should be telling you that you need anything from them...Close the pop-up and do not ever click "ok" when unrecognized pop-ups or download links appear for no reason...

Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceRider

Hi `Scott,
Thanks for your post & sharing your links +
offer to help others
How's your Monte S.S. running ?
Have you done any mod's ?

Great to see you online & we hope we see you
more often.
Stop in on our MCF `Blog & keep us updated.
Wish you a great running S.S. & a great journey
in `Life.
Peace/Out from the BeachBum's
How's your Monte S.S. running ? - Runs like a Beast.
Have you done any mod's ? - Diablew Tune & Magnaflow.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by SSilver
"downloadrequired-updates.com" is certainly NOT a valid Java link, nor is it a link that should be telling you that you need anything from them...Close the pop-up and do not ever click "ok" when unrecognized pop-ups or download links appear for no reason...
Most definitely some good info. I didn't click the 'ok' link, I just pulled up the properties and got the URL from there.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Just logged on a few minutes ago and when clicking on a topic an ad (flashed by too quick to see what was advertised) then Malwarebytes blocked it. I do have an IP Address, and the domain is Amazon. I don't know if this will help, but figured I'd pass it along.

Attached Thumbnails Obnoxious pop-up ads-capture01.jpg   Obnoxious pop-up ads-capture2.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Firefox with adblockplus addon. never see ads pop up, running windows 7 and the comcast nortons stuff.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Iam running Windows 7 home edition

I use the registered version of Malwarebytes Pro..

Also use McAfee total protection (We use it at work too worldwide at all of our locations)

I also use Total defense PC Tune-up (registered version)

Check your security settings in the internet options also make sure they are set high enough.

I turn off the pop ups there and really have not had any issues with pop ups

Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 AM

These aren't pop up ads. These are ads on the forum that have somehow been compromised and attempt to redirect you to their malicious site or fool you into thinking you need an upgrade for your Java, media player, etc.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious pop-up ads