Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Taking off dash/broken cd in cd player

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Default Taking off dash/broken cd in cd player

A few years ago someone stuck a broken cd into my moms cd player and it never would eject. She has been pissed off about it ever since and I would like to fix if for her. I looked around and could not figure out how to take it off. (I have taken of many dashes) Anyway, how would I go about doing this? Also, how hard is it going to be to get the cd out? Its a stock cd player. 1996 Monte Carlo

Thanks

Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 AM

Welcome to the MCF Family,
It's great that you want to help your mother with her Monte : )
Explore the MCF & use our search Engine, and be patience for one of our expert member's to post their suggestions/solutions to your problem. Check back to see what they post.
Also, you may want to check out the below to see `if it gives you any information. Good Luck
Factory Car Stereo Repair For All Makes and Models - Chevrolet ...
Chevrolet Monte Carlo Amplifier Matsu****a / Panasonic ... The common problems seen with this unit is No FM, snap and pop from speakers or loss of ... There is a possibility of a broken drive belt, but most cases this a cassette mechanism ... CD player does not operate properly, 1990-91 models we no longer repair. ...
www.carstereohelp.com/chevrolet.htm - 24k - Similar pages
http://www.carstereohelp.com/chevrolet.htm

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM

wouldnt you have to take the whole cd player apart just to get the disc?! and it might not play anymore cds, you might as well just get her a good/cheap cd player

Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Its not hard to take off the dash.

2 screws on the lower panel. start pulling it away from the dash. If you have a column shifter, turn the ignition until you can put car in LOW (make sure you have the e-brake on). Then tilt down the steering wheel and start on the left side and wiggle it out from there. The hardest part is getting it past the light switch.

Once you have taken that off, I believe you will see 4 screws (2 on each side) of the radio. remove those ( i believe they are 7 mm, I could be wrong) and the radio will slide out.

Sonin66 is right, the radio might not be able to play the CDs anymore. The syncro motor or the sensor could be bad. You can either have it fixed if she likes the simplicity of the stock radio, or just get her a new one.

Let me know if you still need help and i will see if i cant take mine apart and show you pics of the process.