Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

strange electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default strange electrical issues.

Hey guys, so the last two cold starts of my monte have show some interesting issues. (These issues only show up on the first start of the day thus far) when I start the engine the car starts and voltage doesnt instantaneously come up to normal (takes maybe 10 seconds), the car is in parking brake is aplied but the "cruise" light is shown on the dash, home link isnt powered on, blower switch is in on position but heater doesnt turn on, It takes a few cycles of the blower switch to reset all of these issues at which point everything acts like normal for the rest of the day. Except the A/C button will turn itself on randomly at times. I remember from looking at the wiring diagram that the circuitry for the cruise control runs through the h vac panel. Im pretty sure the h vac panel is bad and already have a replacement from a junk yard monte. Just curious what you guys think and if any on has had s imiliar issues.

Just as an FYI, I recently installed a 250 amp HO alternator (probably wouldnt cause these problems) and I replaced the blower motor reaistor do to the common issue. Just things to eliminate from any hypothesis.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Hey guys, so the last two cold starts of my monte have show some interesting issues. (These issues only show up on the first start of the day thus far) when I start the engine the car starts and voltage doesnt instantaneously come up to normal (takes maybe 10 seconds), the car is in parking brake is aplied but the "cruise" light is shown on the dash, home link isnt powered on, blower switch is in on position but heater doesnt turn on, It takes a few cycles of the blower switch to reset all of these issues at which point everything acts like normal for the rest of the day. Except the A/C button will turn itself on randomly at times. I remember from looking at the wiring diagram that the circuitry for the cruise control runs through the h vac panel. Im pretty sure the h vac panel is bad and already have a replacement from a junk yard monte. Just curious what you guys think and if any on has had s imiliar issues.

Just as an FYI, I recently installed a 250 amp HO alternator (probably wouldnt cause these problems) and I replaced the blower motor reaistor do to the common issue. Just things to eliminate from any hypothesis.

i would check the CCA on the battery and make sure they are up to the voltage they need to be, and i would check for any lose ground wires, or disconnected ones., clean terminals on battery also. I myself have issues with my ac/heater control unit and i just put a brand new one in. my blower will not work unless its on 3 or above, the new cluster did not change this. my uncle told me there is a resister somewhere he thinks behind or under glove box that should fix that problem. is this the same resistor that you just replaced?? i have had my ac button come on in the past without me pushing the button, but i always thought it was a mistake and that i bumped it when messing with controls, (maybe it wasn't??) the cruise...you could have just simply bumped that as well if the button is the front of the steering wheel like mine is. i also read on another forum that a guy had same issues and he replaced his ignition switch and that solved all his problems. i cant quite fathom what the ignition switch would have to do with it, but i guess it could be an option to consider.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Dave, I agree with Nightmagic. Although not on a Monte, I have seen this before, It is usually an indication of a battery or Ground problem. (Usually the Battery though) When you start your Monte the battery is already low so what you are seeing on the gauge is the alternator bringing it back to full charge. Then when you park it for the night the battery is discharging itself.

Nightmagic, Hi,
You may have a bad blower motor. It now needs a particular voltage to run. There may be a resistor on the motor but I would replace the Whole Blower motor.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Yeah most deff, grab a wire brush and baking soda and clean the battery, then use vaseline on the post to keep it from coroding. But make sure you take a towel and wipe around it. My car used to turn on and off mid drive due to battery issues. I would recommend checking your ground for battery and tighting the post hard.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Nightmagic, Hi,
You may have a bad blower motor. It now needs a particular voltage to run. There may be a resistor on the motor but I would replace the Whole Blower motor.[/QUOTE]

even tho it still works on settings 3,4 &5?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

Yes! The Blower Switch Supplies 5 voltages for the 5 fan settings. As the motor gets older its overall resistance increases, Eventually increasing so much that the lower settings can not supply enough current to turn the fan. While this may effect the lower settings at first, eventually none of the settings will work.
Now I am assuming that the junkyard blower resister you got is working perfectly!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM
1 Year Member

All grounds and terminals are clean and good. Resistance checks are good. I guess its just an intermittent problem beacuse it hasn't done it in awhile now but there is no specific situation it does it in. JC, the blower motor resistor is a more common failure point on these cars then the blower motor, mine would only work on the 5 setting. Id suggest he pull out the blower motor (cause its a piece of cake) then look to see if the resistor looks bad, (mine was pretty obviously burnt).

Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member

Yes Dave, the Blower Resistor is a more common failure item but he said that he had replaced it (with a junkyard unit). That one may be bad as well but to have 2 with the exact same issue is also rare. If the resister checks out good than the only other thing is the blower motor. I don't believe he has any bad fuses or connectors because the motor works, just not on all setting. This is why I point to the blower motor. And as I said, this is assuming that the junk yard unit he got is in PERFECT condition.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Yes Dave, the Blower Resistor is a more common failure item but he said that he had replaced it (with a junkyard unit). That one may be bad as well but to have 2 with the exact same issue is also rare. If the resister checks out good than the only other thing is the blower motor. I don't believe he has any bad fuses or connectors because the motor works, just not on all setting. This is why I point to the blower motor. And as I said, this is assuming that the junk yard unit he got is in PERFECT condition.
I missed the junkyard replacement part. Yeah blower motor then haha.