Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Strange electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Strange electrical problems

car: 2001 ss

Here in the past month I've been having strange things go on with my car, I'll just list them below:

-reverse lights come on and off/flicker when car is in reverse

-just noticed yesterday my high beams do the same when I was in park, this was during the day so they weren't on full blast

-when car is put into drive or reverse, the automatic locking doors won't lock. If I lock them manually they won't unlock when put back into park

-yesterday my low beams came on during the day, it was sunny and the light sensor was not obstructed by shade.

At the moment this is all the problems I can think of, there's probably something else I just haven't noticed. Could all of this be because of a bad relay(s) or blown fuse(s)?

Edit: Thought of something else. When I turn the air on, the ac button is turned off. I remember before all these problems I wouldn't have to hit the ac button every time I turned on the air. It's like it resets every time I turn the car off.

Last edited by M.C.BOB; 05-23-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The highbeams come on at half power as your DRL (daytime running lights). But to me it kinda sounds like the problems you're having could be a bad ground somewhere. I couldn't tell you exactly where though. Sorry. If you've done any custom wiring, or had some work done just before the problems started happening, I'd start looking there.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

What I mean by the headlights is that they'll slowly dim on and off (when in park it'll do this, when in gear it'll stay on constantly. Now that I think about it the lights shouldn't even come on in the day until it's put into gear). I'll try to get a video and upload on here.

I've upgraded my wiring for car audio purposes, but this was several months ago. I recently tried to upgrade my alternator but it wouldn't fit so I put the stock one back on. Every since then things started acting up.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

Here's a video:

Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would check the wiring on your alternator if you haven't already. Sounds like it may not be working properly. But I'm sure someone with more experience in that will post their thoughts.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

did you run your power wire strait from the bat?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

bumpity

Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Looks like a BCM issue. The blinking back up lights are a clue to a BCM on its way out.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member

bump

Got a better video showing all the problems, I also have a better list of everything that's going on.

video: electical problems on monte carlo - YouTube

-back up lights flash on and off when in reverse (ticking noise can be heard on right side of car when they turn off and on)

-idle is a little rough, drops a little and when it does the dash lights slightly dim

-ac compressor kicks on and off

-fan(radiator fan?) stays on for 5-10 minutes after car is turned off

-high beams turn on and off during day when in park, they shouldn't come on at all until I'm in drive

-doors won't lock/unlock (although they did the first time I tried it in this video) when put into drive/park

-strange things going on when remote started (just learned this tonight when I took the video)

-there's a strange humming noise towards the front, you can hear it in the video when I walk around front

-display center box thing will tell me to service vehicle, usually happens when the remote start is used, will also happen (some times) when started as normal

-when ebrake is pushed in, the lights shouldn't come on at all until I release the ebrake. as you can see in this video at the beginning lights come on just a few seconds after car is started, then I released the ebrake.

-also with the ebrake, again when pushed in lights shouldn't come on. I will usually do this at night because of the hids. the lights will come on then turn right back off when I put the key from the off to the on position.

-sensor for head lights is very sensitive. when there's enough shade the low beams will kick on, when the sun comes back to sensor the high beams should come back on. this doesn't happen anymore

Everything listed can be viewed in the video, everything happens randomly, although here lately it seems it's always happening now.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Sounds a lot like a BCM. These fail very frequently on these cars.

Quick Reply: Strange electrical problems