Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Holy super closeup batman!

What i'm trying to do is see if this is something I want to do, but I'd like to see what it looks like from the front of the car, without the super closeup, haha. So if you could make sure there's no zoom and then with the pod or pods in place, take a pic as if you were taking it of the rear view mirror.

No rush, whenever you get a chance.
yeah i figured that's what you were interested in. yeah if you want some advice on some things with these pillars. a large note is they are by no means the easiest A pillars to work with, their huge, I actually broke my one tab to hold the passenger side, but it seems to hold its self up fine with out it, but be very careful if you work with them. I'll give you some pictures than, their not very easy to hide the way i have them designed, but the displacment isn't very much. i'm quite happy with it i'll get you some picture tomorow, i'm hoping to finish it tomorow. i'll keep you posted.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 PM

I gotta give you props though, this is a hell of a project to take on when you have no experience with fiberglass

Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
3 Year Member

took allot of preparation and research even with all that, i'm still not able to do a 100% professional job but i'm damn sure going to try ^_^ right now i'm still looking up ways on how to finish this, i had purcahsed some vinyl, but after playing with it today I don't think it's going to work, i might have to go with a tweed or suede type finish.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 AM

What about black PlastiDip?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 AM
3 Year Member

what is that? i dont know anything abou that. some things ive considered though are that tweed, vinyl, or theres that fiberglass 3M stuff that is lick and stick, it would be reallllllllly nice for this but it would look like a ricer :-s i dont think montes look good with that finish.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would probably try to stay away from the plastidip, it will probably show the imperfections in the fiberglass and bondo work.

it's basically a spray paint that turns to rubber, and can be peeled off.

If you can get the vinyl to work that would be your best bet because it will hide most imperfections and last longer than the plastidip

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
what is that? i dont know anything abou that. some things ive considered though are that tweed, vinyl, or theres that fiberglass 3M stuff that is lick and stick, it would be reallllllllly nice for this but it would look like a ricer :-s i dont think montes look good with that finish.
Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying, brushing or dipping. Plasti Dip protective coating products resist moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions; -30°F to 200°F.

You mentioned earlier that your pods are in paintable condition, which to me means all the bodywork is done and the surface is perfected, in which case there will be no imperfections to show through. Don't have to worry about it's durability either unless you're hauling stuff constantly and constantly bumping into/scratching or otherwise abusing your pillars. I'm just not too sure about the look of it, if it will flow with the look of your interior.

Trying to wrap that thing with vinyl, good luck with that, not gonna be fun or easy and not very likely to look good either. Damn man, this is a hard one

Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying, brushing or dipping. Plasti Dip protective coating products resist moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions; -30°F to 200°F.

You mentioned earlier that your pods are in paintable condition, which to me means all the bodywork is done and the surface is perfected, in which case there will be no imperfections to show through. Don't have to worry about it's durability either unless you're hauling stuff constantly and constantly bumping into/scratching or otherwise abusing your pillars. I'm just not too sure about the look of it, if it will flow with the look of your interior.

Trying to wrap that thing with vinyl, good luck with that, not gonna be fun or easy and not very likely to look good either. Damn man, this is a hard one
yeah, i guess i kind of missed this part of the research i've been talking to some people though, and some textured spray paint seems to be the easiest solution, SEM makes some good stuff i guess i'm going to see what i can find localy. also theirs always suede or the like. theres also speaker cloth or a spandex, which would cover great I think but that would be to fragile if you ask me plus it's be ard to get right and would be the least forgiven method of covering.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
yeah, i guess i kind of missed this part of the research i've been talking to some people though, and some textured spray paint seems to be the easiest solution, SEM makes some good stuff i guess i'm going to see what i can find localy. also theirs always suede or the like. theres also speaker cloth or a spandex, which would cover great I think but that would be to fragile if you ask me plus it's be ard to get right and would be the least forgiven method of covering.
OMG, I was gonna suggest textured paint but I could only remember the hammered one and the kinda rough looking one so I didnt bother. About the only other thing I can think of is flocking them. You know what, that would probably be the best way to go, look in to it and see what you think.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM
3 Year Member

I went with some texture paint, I was torn between the hammered and the texture. but the hammered is a semi gloss and would show many details. another problem with paint now was that when i texture painted the piller over where it hadnt been bondoed, it was textured but there were still ridges, i'm working on some finalk skim coats, i did put a layer of paint on to see how it looks and it looked good, but it's going to take some intensve focus on the sanding to make sure nothing pokes through, i can accept a few things but trying to keep as clean as posible, right now i keep breaking through some of the fiberglass in the one side, so i keep having to fill but **** happens, fill it and flow it. anyways i just put on what i hope to be the last coat.

oh and i got those pictures for you before i took the pod back out of my car this morning first thing the bright color makes it shout though, when its painted it'll look better, remember all that white you see is mostly what was already their its just white so it stands out. i'm painting it by the end of today...I hope. i got like 4 cans lol should be plenty.

Quick Reply: SQ build