Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Quick question about the passenger side pod:

Doesn't the top of the dash pop up to let the passenger airbag out in an accident:

It looks like placement there would inhibit the thing from popping up correctly, but I could be wrong.
we better hope i don't hit anything

got them glassed a, than found out the fabrid sag issue was bigger than i had faired, the driver side was fine because their was a brace their, but the passenger side sagged to much and the driver engine hit it i had to cut out the backside, refabric it, and put some posts in to hold it out to make sure it won't go to far in this time. wasn't to big of a deal.

the driver side came out pretty good.

but i don't know, the resin doesn't adhear to the plasic...almost at all, its held on their from the frabic and where it was glued to the unit, but I'd like to have something more than that to rely on to hold it on, what preperation could i do to the surface to get it to stick? should i bondo the suface? sand it?

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 03-18-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM

we better hope i don't hit anything
That might not be so funny when the airbag breaks the passenger pod off, bounces it off the windshield, and chucks it across the car. Heck, that could happen just from a hard enough front impact if they aren't secured to the car's structure well enough- those factory clips weren't designed to support all that extra weight in a crash. I'd say at minimum, I'd deactivate the passenger side airbag though. Still not real crazy about mods that make a car more dangerous to drive by interfering with factory safety features.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That might not be so funny when the airbag breaks the passenger pod off, bounces it off the windshield, and chucks it across the car. Heck, that could happen just from a hard enough front impact if they aren't secured to the car's structure well enough- those factory clips weren't designed to support all that extra weight in a crash, hence why a lot of people run screws into the metal pillar when installing a gauge pod. I'd say at minimum, I'd deactivate the passenger side airbag though. Still not real crazy about mods that make a car more dangerous to drive by interfering with factory safety features.
gonna be honest, i haden't given it a single thought. but you do have valid points, i realize it's no joking matter. I do not know how i would secure this more, if you do have any advice I'd be glad to hear it out though but i dont think i'm going to change the position of the pod, i honestly don't feel that it is a big problem, as i rarley have passengers.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Can we get some better pics of the glassed pods, the lighting sucked on that one pic you posted.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 PM
3 Year Member

yeah i know, i didnt take many pictures yesterday I was just kinda focused on the project. i took one today before i started reglassing after yesterdays "oppes" we shall call them, everything looks good, i got one coat on, and i'm in the middle of a very heavy 3rd coat, hopefully final, pehraps another. i picked up a 1 gallen drum of resin so i'm g2g with resin :P also got a half gallen of bondo, which will be more than enough for my sub box and my pods i think. i still need to glass in the center chanel :\ i'm just really scared of it, and the amount of work it's going to take to remove it, scares me as well XD so i'm focusing on this for now.

i'm also planing on some point today deadening up the door panels i think. since i have so much down time for drying periods.

anyhoo, the picture as requested. this is after i repaired the back of the pasenger side pod, you can still see the posts i used to hold the fabric back so it woudln't get to close. i also plan to line the inside of these pods with that cathair bondo i have, since i have it laying around, it worked out so well with deadening and structuring the door panel pods. i know i removed to much of the A pillars for the hole, they dont even come close to sitting that low, but i was really warry about these drivers, their very hard to mount in A pillars because their 4"s and not 3"s so they want more space, so i'm giving them plenty of breathing space XD if need be i can shrink things up, but i doubt i will. i'll be deadening this all up too in the end.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM
3 Year Member

and the mess lol almost looks like art

Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 PM
3 Year Member

is that a good reaction?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM
3 Year Member

sight, well i put it all away for the day i'm so close to being done i can taste it! i'm currently sanding down the driver side to be prepped to be vinyl'd i don't think i'm going to put the tweeters in, i dont know i'll let it fully dry and loose all of its smell, ride around with it with out the vinyl for a bit and see play with some things.

i bondo'd the inside to with that shorthair bondo as you can see in the pictures. these pods are as solid as a rock, i could literly stand on these, no lie.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
3 Year Member

alright! time for some poen for all of you who have been religasly following, and for those of whome just stroled in out of interested..well what ever you're not cool <_< I "finished" the driver side pod, it still needs a few touch ups with some bondo in some lows, but i might not even bother since its getting vinyl anyways, but this thing is almost smooth enough to put a paint finish on.

heres a picture of the inner wall, to show you how i structured it with the short hair bondo.

this will be the finish mounting look, these drivers are just so good looking, their was no real need to grill them off.

Quick Reply: SQ build