Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
3 Year Member

yeah, well i didnt know what it was when you mentioned it lol but a gentleman pointed me in a direction gave me some links to some sites and blamo, ordered i dont get why this isnt a much more covered topic i guess people like to keep it on the hush.

anyways, yes, after talking with scott he says i'll never get them to shine even with the SE's, so i've got two options, spread em, or change drivers.

right now i'm more kein on changing drivers since thats the far easier choice :P

their are lots of drivers that love small space, right now i'm looking at these bad boys, and they are MUCH cheaper than the L4's.

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8690

other than that ive yet to found out about any other 4"s that like such small spaces that perform, this is the only one ive gotten any feedback on, but if anybody knows any let me know

for now, the L4's are going in once i get these pods primered, i'll flock them once i get the new drivers. I'll also polyfill them and cut them off higher to account for the loss in lower frequency response but idk how that'll work i'm hoping well lol

Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Nope, u didnt know what it was but it was still my idea. You're welcome

How much u want for the L4's?

Last edited by Milhouse; 04-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
3 Year Member

idk i was thinking about making some bookshelfs speaker with them tehe, i mean i havnt even fully listened to them, i might be able to make my self happy with them in the enclosure if i tune them just right, so lets wait to see that before i make any definitive ansers, im spraying them up right now, i probobly wont flock them till i have the new drivers or know if im keeping these.

but if i do sell em, i'll probobly do 60% msrp, because thats what scott would give me to take them back. i forget what the msrp of these are though :\ so i cant give you a number lol

Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM

I hear ya. I don't need them anyway so it's cool.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
3 Year Member

lol im glad its cool :P

I put the pods in today...mounted evertything up finish, and to even get them remotly sounding alright i had to cut them off above 2200, and even than i was still starving the darn things so i guess its back to the cutting board. i'm gonna have to just eat it and rebuild, i shuold be able to keep them pretty much their, and just cut out about 50% of them, the back section, and i'll cut the fornt section to make it longer so i can get the contors able to take vinyl.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Good luck with that

Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM
3 Year Member

I've also decided on changing decks, ive come to the conclusion that ive settled to much, and now that the deck i REALLY wanted is realeased i'm going to pick it up. it's a bit more, about 200$ more but i'll just have to eat it to get what i want.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
I've also decided on changing decks, ive come to the conclusion that ive settled to much, and now that the deck i REALLY wanted is realeased i'm going to pick it up. it's a bit more, about 200$ more but i'll just have to eat it to get what i want.
At the end of the day you gotta be happy with what you have, at least that's my philosophy. You only live once, no sense in dealing with something you aren't really happy with if it's in your control.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
3 Year Member

indeed, ive begin the "mental" prep for the recasting of the pods.. by my logic, i think i have these methods so down by now this really SHOULDN'T take nearly as long as the first time, the longest process by far to me and most crucial is the wraping of cloth. but ive already looked at it and how its going to wrap and it shuold be pretty easy, i'm considering changing the rings so i have something I can put a grill on, but idk yet about that, i dont have the tools needed to make rings. i need a circle jig, and some bits for my router..which im honestly not very proficiant with, ive done found over bit cuts on another build and i was quite bad at it XD

anyways, i've put the sony up for sale, i have the difference in value put aside so i can order the new deck once the old one sells, and i'm super psyched about the change out, because what pioneer did with the z series is a work of art. they really got it right, the only thing i dont like is not having a volume ****.

Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT In-Dash Navigation with DVD/Bluetooth/MP3/USB/Pandora

oh and idk if i mentioend i did order those scanspeak drivers, i'll wait before i cut the pods to try out the scanspeak drivers.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 04-11-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM

Is the face removeable on those things?

Quick Reply: SQ build