Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
hmm? im sorry i'm not picking fights. those weren't my intentions at all, i was just having a conversation, i'm waiting on the drivers to try them before tear down the old pillars because i want to hear them in the smaller pillar, i mean if they sound good, than its not eve worth tearing down what i have. besides its been raining for like 2 weeks also got a few other things i ordered, ordered a router jig so i can build the speaker rings properly this time :P gonna recess them so that i can grill them or at the very least have them recessed.
Then u might want to be a little more selective with your words cause I'm sure most people would take offense to you insinuating they don't have common sense. But its water under the bridge now.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
3 Year Member

hmm my comments weren't really even directed at you but in general terms, but bigons be bigons, moving on.

I got the new drivers today, and well...they don't fit what i have, they're much smaller than what I thought, extreamly tiny in fact, almost a 3" driver if you ask me, BUT the good news, they sound great.

after a brief 20 min listening, tunned to about 400 hz cut off, which wasn't bad at all for the cut off, i was pretty pleased, they handled as much power as i was putting into the L4's i didnt really have to tweak the gains, i did start them off lower but was able to take them back up, they also sound just about as loud, if not louder.

i did hear what bikini spoak of with the hard tones, and the unnatural sounding music, it wasn't very um...shall we say natural, i imagine those 200$ drivers sound much cleaner, but thats 400$ in drivers i don't need to spend :-s the L4's had a more natural sound but also lacked a bit of the punch these f10's, its a give and take kind of thing, for the size of them they are amazing, but i might need to add the tweeters, as they are a bit harsh on the high end, which is to be expected when running a mid range at full range. i'm gonna try them with tweeters see how they sound with some different cut off, buts 400 seems like a good cut off for the f10's buttom, I didn't try anything below as i took the man on his word. i'll play with them, see what i can do.

as far as the basket, i should be able to make another flange out of some 1\4" board or something and get them on their. but maybe i'll jsut tear it down and redo it, i'm unsure yet on what i want to do, i need to look at them more :-s any ideas would be great, i am taking my time on this though, no need to rush. i mean the L6s running full range carry them self pretty well, i haven't really minded the car being with out the top end.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
3 Year Member

got the circle jig thuresday, got the speakers yesterday, and got the upcut bit today, as well as a rabbeting bit to do some recesses figuired it'd cost me 40$ for a set of rings or 60$ for the jig, and the bits and i can make as many as i want, they come out much better this way than they do with a jig saw :P

but i must say i'm disapointed in this jig, it's pretty poorly designed, and i havn't found a single one of the numbers to be true, almost 1\2" off on every hole i went to cut, thank god i pulled out a tape to check what it was doing.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Jasper jig?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
3 Year Member

yep its a life saver! made these brackets come out really good...even for my lack of experience with this router. i have used it less than 4 times in the past 5 years XD lol this is the most it's ever been used.

I just finished the Mid brackets finely, had to wait for the glue to dry, than ahd to sand off the glue and the missmatching parts of the rings. I cut the ring with the jig, than I glued it to the ring i built earlier, and just now with it dry, i took a round over bit to get the edges rounded over uniformly. but they came out a bit taller than i expected, i might take a 1\4" off to get them to only 1\2" tall instead of 3\4" that they are, i mean it really won't matter once their mounted, I just don't want them sitting to far back or i'll end up with distortion, plus i'll be using up more space.

pretty good set up, i have access to everything i need right their ^_^

its about 1\16 loose around, but whats a 1\16 of an inch between friends eh

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 04-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
3 Year Member

got the other pod torn down (that one was REALLY on their XD ) took me dman near an hour to get it off.

got the tweeters mocked up and sabbed up and ready for wrapping. took me awhile because i kept having to remake the tweeter baffles, the origonal ones had a 1\16" gap around the edge i didn't like it so i rebuitl them but i kept making them to tight and they kept tearing off the bavel, mdf isn't very strong anyways, finily got it tuned in and cut so it fits nice and snugg but not to tight.

gonna mock up the pods..some day, i just got a new job and it's 2nd shift so eating up allot of my free time that i have to work on this. sigh.

those are in enough? i should be able to wrap them and smooth out the edges with out to much fuss :\ i'm trying to work off of what ive seen in other builds.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
3 Year Member

mocking up the driver side mids and tweets

pasenger side mock up with tweets and mids

about to wrap driver side

Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM
3 Year Member

got the new deck, and finily got it in today, ive had it forl ike 4 days now lol but finily had enough time to install it today.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
3 Year Member

Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Absolutely beautiful work. I applaud the will to do a 3way in our cars, they're not the friendliest to work with, speaker placement wise. Continue the good work, you're doing just fine.

Quick Reply: SQ build