Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM
3 Year Member

yeah, just wish i had some progress to post but they're still in the same state they were at that post back in the beginning of april and now its half way through may lol the A pillars are a dick to work with, since their so massive, so yes they are hard to place in that aspect but really not much different than any other car I suppose, before you start working with it, its hard to get a ball rolling in your head about what to do with the stuff but really the ideas have been flowing on what i'm doing. and i'm even continplating moving my spare tire, or removing it even for a spare tire box for my sub to save space in my trunk along with a false floor, won't be nothing super showy but it sure will be practical if i do it.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Good luck and anxious to see the outcome.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
3 Year Member

i'll have them bondoed by the end of today *Crosses fingers* i think, i'm puting on some fiberglass now, and trimming and layering, my next batch of fiberglass should be enough to call that done, than i can slam a coat of bondo on before the end of the night. than spend all day sanding and such tommorow. won't get much progress after that with work and such but i'll do what i can with what time i have with my bondo experience from the last set of pods this shouldn't be quite as painful >_< but you never know, if something doesn't stick right i could end up back tracking several times.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:12 PM

***Crosses Fingers***

You've made it this far, you can finish it. Hope all goes in favor!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 PM
3 Year Member

yeah looking like i'll get that far, i just managed to slam on a massive amount of fiberglass, its pretty hard to work efficiantly with this stuff. lol you cant always predict how big of a batch you can make and how fast you'll be able to put it on, the 2nd layer is usialy more predictible, but the first layer is always a crap and shoot lol but the first layer dried in like 40 mins, so this layer shoudln't take long than i'm going to slam on some bondo, my buddys coming to help, i might eve work intot he night since i'm working out of my shed anyways what with the rain and all >_<

but tommorw looks like another wash out idk if i'll be able to sand as much as i want because patch jobs will take 3x as long to dry, so that'll probably slow me down allot but i should have them knocked out by tommorw if i drop the hammer and wake up early. but even with all this it'll probobly be another 2 weeks before i can ever put them in the car for final mounting because the flocking takes a week to cure, and i'll probobly do one side at a time. plus with final sanding and such.

sadly though, they don't appear they will be the same EXACT shape, but at this point I really don't care, i can make them closer with bondo. the driver side is a bit sharper in the angles idk if you can see it in the other pictures, i would take more pictures but really it just looks the same, just shiny and wet lol i'll get pictures of the bondo process though, as well as flocking, but really their isn't much more to show

i've also got an idea on how i'm going to grill them, i just need to find me some 3\4" mdf or board of some kind, and i'll have the rings stick slightly out and round them over, than wrap them in cloth. i think this will look much better than a flat ring, that way the ring continues the curve that it started by the ring it's self.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 05-18-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
3 Year Member

was kind of a rush job, i'ma fill it in a bit more tomorrow and sand the **** out of it and get them finished by the end of tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 AM
3 Year Member

alright, this is where things might get a little confusing for some, but try and keep up.

so what you see here basicly is, i'm running my L6's and 6x9's on the ms-8 directly, and running the tweeters\mids off of the mini dsp unit, which in this situation will function as a cross over.

I'll than run the sub as mono, and the rest as normal, this was the only viable pre amp solution i could come up with, i did have another option of making custom cross overs, since i already do know what i'm crossing them over at, but either way i'll be much happier with this option

I think once i get this all setup and have a few more bucks, i'll throw some nicer 6x9's in the rear, i've even given my old JBL c608gti mkii's a thought, i might throw them in the rear, mount the cross overs under the deck, and use a custom baffle to mount the tweeters and mids right their, or maybe even class the tweeters up in the corner panels if I really feel like going crazy :P

Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
3 Year Member

mmm fun morning full of sanding, i have the driver side almost done, almost ready for final touch ups, i just finily got the curves right, probobly could of saved quite a bit of time had I used a better fabric that didn't have so much sag in it, well you live and you learn. fortunatly, the passenger side didn't have nearly as much sag and shaped much better so i won't have to spend as much time working out shapes.

2nd coat and 2nd sanding

several coats later...

my initial coat was in standard bondo, i did the first touch up with short hair bondo because i like how it works, it works really well for structure too, so i felt it was a very good choice, i have almost a 1\4" of material at some points, especily the main slope off the mid, which i like because their will be no noise from it.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
3 Year Member

the new work bench, much more room to work with ^_^

FINISHED!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM
3 Year Member

i have some pictures, its rained out, so i coudln't do any sanding today..well i could but it's ****ing wet out their and i spent all day yesterday sanding in the rain. so i spent the morning cleaning up some wiring, changing out some RCA's (shorter RCA's) and zip tieing wires, also cleaned out my car :P

I take allot of pictures, i hate looking at build logs where you don't see progress, or different angles, especily on finished products. i'm gonna have to primer these to get them preped and sealed for glue. not 100% needed but I feel it'll help me make sure i have no dinglebarrys laying about on it.

this side looks so naked...

coudln't help my self, i had to see how they looked with the drivers. and mmmm is it sexy ^_^ i need to get moving on making these rings too, i cut them, their floating around my shed somwhere but i might recut them, i don't think the ones i cut were tight enough, it depends on what fabric i use, i might just use the spandex i have.

Quick Reply: SQ build