Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Default Speakers

Hello,

Wanting to replace the speakers in my Monte Carlo SS 04 w/ Factory Amp.

I busted one of the factory speakers so I figured I would upgrade them alittle.

I need a decent resonably priced set of speakers for the back and if their not too much trouble to deal with need a set of speakers for the front.

Is the speaker replacement easy for the front speakers or do you have to take the door panel and all that crap off?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Yes the door panel has to come off.

I would look for component sets for the door, so it remains the tweeter like factory.

Are you looking for any bass out of the speakers cause you will more or less loose some swapping out the factory speakers?

Whats reasonably priced qualify as?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM

x2

The door panel has to come off for the fronts, but it's not all that scary. It's not really any harder than doing the rear speakers. You'll be wasting your time upgrading the fronts if you don't do components in my opinion. But you should know that without an aftermarket amp, they won't get as loud as factory speakers. Alpine Type X components would be a great choice and can be had on ebay for relatively cheap.

As for the rear speakers, like said above, they won't be as loud as factory if you replace them, mostly in terms of bass response. If you don't run a sub and don't plan on amping the speakers, you might be better off with factory.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by rpd709
Hello,

Wanting to replace the speakers in my Monte Carlo SS 04 w/ Factory Amp.

I busted one of the factory speakers so I figured I would upgrade them alittle.

I need a decent resonably priced set of speakers for the back and if their not too much trouble to deal with need a set of speakers for the front.

Is the speaker replacement easy for the front speakers or do you have to take the door panel and all that crap off?
Yes it's easy and yes you have to take the door panel off.

I don't agree with the guys that are saying you'll lose bass response though, that was not my experience. Matter of fact, the bass sounded better, IMO, when I replaced my interior speakers however the volume did decrease noticeably. So to offset that I basically just had to turn the volume **** up higher to reach the same loudness as with the stock speakers. Reason being, when removed my stock speakers I noticed they were 2ohm drivers...I put in 4ohm drivers which essentially doubled the resistive load the amp was "seeing" which effectively halves the power output.

So if you're going to do this upgrade my suggestion to you would be to check what impedance your speakers are before you go and buy some, if they are 2ohms as mine were they I'd suggest replacing them with 2ohm drivers or accept the fact that once you do the upgrade your stereo won't be as loud as it once was at the volume level you listened to it.

Last edited by 04MonteLS; 04-20-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

04MonteLS... was what you got with or without the factory HU. The HU makes a big difference as well.