Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

amp/speakers schematic

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Default amp/speakers schematic

Hey guys. I'm a new MC owner and brand new to the forum. I've got a few questions....

My car is a 2000. I'm looking at replacing the factory amp with a high-end aftermarket unit with line-level inputs, and just running the respective speaker wires to each speaker (which too will be replaced). I've read that the front speakers are factory component speakers, with seperate leads for the mid driver and tweeter. Where is the signal crossover for the front speakers? Is it in the HU, or the amp, or elsewhere? Does the signal from the HU carry a simple single L and R speaker lines to the amp that's crossed over afterard?

My question.... Does anyone have the schematic for the HU/amp/speakers? I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Default RE: amp/speakers schematic

first welcome to the fourm.

As far as replacing the amp that should be nothign to dificult.
Running the wires on the other hand will tak e you some time. As far as a actuall schematic i have never actually seen one for our cars that is just for stereo If you find one let us all know we would love to know what is where and how to find it. The wire harness i know of that gose to the back of the car gose on the Pax side of the car and is rather easy to get to if you take up the moulding in the rocker pannel it just snaps in with clips litterly grap and jerk carefuly on it and it will come out in your hand.

I just ran the wires for my amp and there is a thread in here i just took some shots on how i ran my wires back to the rear of the car from under the hood. https://montecarloforum.com/m_6284/tm.htm
that link will take you to it just make sure you have pleanty of time so that you will not be rushed to get this done.

Nice ride to by the way.
there is a thread i started abotu hey guys look at this it linked you to a site with all kinds of information on the stereo installs one of the links took you to G.M. wire codes this might help you also.
think i stuck it in the gen. section just do a serch on my name it will show what i ahve posted in here for the last few days it should show it to.

Good luck and again if you see soem let us know im thinking i will be doing the same again shortly with doing the doors on mine also . I know 04 ls just added the front componets to his but not sure he changed the wires for it.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if the '00 front speakers are in fact components with seperate leads to each driver?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: eric618

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if the '00 front speakers are in fact components with seperate leads to each driver?
They are. I can't confirm, but I have heard that if you connect a tweeter to the leads for the mid range, you will not get any high end output, sounds to me like the amp has a built in crossover as well.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 AM

So that would mean there's only simple L and R lines run to the amp, not an already crossovered signal? That's perfect then, as I'm replacing the amp as well.

My concern was that the signal was crossovered in the HU and ran seperate high and low signals back for each channel, which would have made replacing the amp/front speakers that much more of a pain in the a**!!!

Thanks MUCH for the info. It'll be a few weeks or even more before I start the task of replacing everything. I'll keep you updated on the layout!

THANKS!

Old 08-23-2005, 10:43 AM

there is a easy way to test that theroy
contct a speaker to it that is a knowen high to aknowen mid base lead and vise versa see what happens .

If it is corssed over youll know it.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: eric618

So that would mean there's only simple L and R lines run to the amp, not an already crossovered signal? That's perfect then, as I'm replacing the amp as well.

My concern was that the signal was crossovered in the HU and ran seperate high and low signals back for each channel, which would have made replacing the amp/front speakers that much more of a pain in the a**!!!

Thanks MUCH for the info. It'll be a few weeks or even more before I start the task of replacing everything. I'll keep you updated on the layout!

THANKS!
If you could find out the speaker wire layout, you'd be the man! All that's needed is color code and polarity. If I don't beat ya to it

Thanks Mickey for the lesson, I don't know what I would've done without it, hehe. The reason I wasn't able to confirm isn't cause I didn't know how, it's that I found out after I was done and haven't taken the panels off since to test that theory.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:53 AM

That would be an easy and definitive test for that. The problem is that I don't have the schematic for the amp/speakers, so I don't know what does what just yet. Workin' on it though!

Thanks for the input! If I track down a wiring daigram, I'll certainly post it.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:54 AM

hey glad i could help you out even if it was late LMAO!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

hey glad i could help you out even if it was late LMAO!!!!!!
LOL, that went over your head.

I found out that connecting a tweeter to the speaker leads of the midrange would not garner high end output after I had done my install, on another board.
But soon I'll get motivated to test said theory and will let ya'll know if I can confirm it.

Quick Reply: amp/speakers schematic