Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Seeking advice on wiring harness/adapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Default Seeking advice on wiring harness/adapter

HELLO!

I am working on installing a system into my 2002 Monte Carlo SS, but I am having some issues tracking down what adapter/wiring harness I need to keep the chimes working and that sort of thing.

I have OnStar, and I have a factory amp. My car sounds good, but I am looking to install an amp, with subs, and an aftermarket head unit. I checked on crutchfield.com, and they referred me to this piece of equipment:

Amazon.com: Axxess GMOS-04 Class II OnStar® Interface for Amplified Systems: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Axxess GMOS-04 Class II OnStar® Interface for Amplified Systems: Car Electronics

I see the description states that this is for Bose systems, but I am unsure if I have a Bose system or not, as my amp and speakers DO NOT say Bose on them anywhere. Could anybody confirm if this is the piece of equipment that I need, or if I need to be looking for something else?

Cruthfield told me that if I have both OnStar, and an amp in my trunk, I have a Bose system, but I have a hard time trusting stores, especially when just 10 minutes before I spoke to the follow who gave me the link to that, another guy gave me a link to an entirely different harness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am growing tired of my factory head unit messing up and am looking to put a DVD player with iPod control in it.

tl;dr, OnStar + factory amp in trunk + 2002 Monte SS. What harness do I need to keep chimes and onstar functioning to hook up aftermarket headunit?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GM didn't offer a Bose system as an option in '02, but did offer a 'Premium' system that included an amp and different speakers. I don't know what the difference is (if any) but the Metra VT-GMOS-04 is shown to fit your vehicle which has the same base part number as the Axxess adapter you linked to.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response 03SSLE!

I will be picking the Metra VT-GMOS-04 up next week, along with my new head unit.. and hoping that I don't run into any issues!!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

are yo installing yourself jer?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM

owens, yes I planned on doing this myself, but I friend of mine suggested getting a head unit from a shop and they would likely install it for me and save some trouble, but if it's not that big of a pain, I would just as well save myself the trip to the store.

Sorry for the late response!