General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bought a stock '07. Seeking upkeep advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Default Bought a stock '07. Seeking upkeep advice.

Hello everyone. Another newbie here who's looking for advice.

In late May '09, I bought a stock, unmodified '07 Monte LT from a non-GM franchised dealer in SC. At the time of the deal, it had 11K miles. Clean CarFax, and one private owner before me (no rental or fleet background). Standard features plus side airbags, leather with heated seats, 6-disc CD changer/MP3 player/RDS, XM sat radio, and 8-speaker premium sound. 3.5-liter flex-fuel V6. Silverstone Metallic with gray interior. Picked it up for $12,250 plus tax and tag. Currently it has 17K miles, and I plan to keep it stock with no mods.

I typically keep a car for 8-10 years, and I do my maintenance at the dealer going by the owner's manual schedule. I love this car and am very pleased to have it. Who cares if my import-owning friends don't understand it!

Since I'm new to a machine like this and to the late-model GM fold, I'd like to know what I can expect in terms of long-term reliability, durability, maintenance (expensive? cheap?), and if there are any issues I should watch for as the car ages and accumulates more miles. Should I anticipate any surprises, good or bad?

Any helpful input from you all is welcome. I'm coming at this feeling a little vulnerable and not knowing what to expect for the coming years.

Thanks!

-M

Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome to the forum, we like pics, so please post some and what are the specs on your LT, motor, 3.5 or 3.9? post more info when you get a chance, see ya

Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

pretty much the simple things. with my 07 i had allready had to replace the rack and pinion the power steering pump the transmission do to a factory defect. they told me the transmission pump stoped working so they had to replace the trans. also the coil pack and the mass air flow sensor. mine was a hit and miss after every thing was fixed under warrenty it is a very reliable car for the 3.5 v6 car like yours. but mine sounds really good with some better exaughst it gives it a good note. after what i said happend to mine it seemed like i ran into some problems. but it runs very well it is a flex fuel as well i get at least 47 mph with eathenal but it is getting hard to find but wish it wasent a flex fuel madel. p.s i am a bad speller

Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Welcome! These cars are pretty reliable and, like any other car, if the maintenance of the vehicle is kept up they'll last for many years. Enjoy the car and happy motoring.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 PM

im sorry if i scared the guy on what happend to my monty with the first month of owning it till 3 months ago. im sorry to do that welcom to the site majority of the people here will help you out with any question. if possible with your monty carlo

Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I have an 06 LT with the 3.5L...

Mine has been very reliable, and gets great gas milage. I currently have 87,000 miles on my Monte, and nothing major has gone wrong with it. The only problems i've had with my Monte are the Water pump needed to be replaced at 65K, and the Power Steering pump needed to be replaced at 72K. Otherwise it just runs.

As far as maintenance, I change my oil based on the oil life monitor, and use nothing but Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (thats a personal choice, but I recommend synthetics). I change my transmission fluid every 50K using nothing but Dexron VI. I change the coolant about every 30-50K. DO NOT trust the owners manual and change your Dex-Cool every 150,000 miles like it says. Dex-Cool sucks, and should be treated like a regular coolant and changed every 30-50K to help prevent expensive gasket repairs.

If you take care of your Monte, it will be a very reliable car, of course as milage gets higher, you will experience little things, that are pretty normal in any car. Like the water pump for example. Although 65K was a bit early for mine to go, but eventually a water pump will go bad.

Cost of repairs is typically less than most foreign cars...

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your Monte Carlo! Congrats on your purchase!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My car will be 10 in about 6 months

Such an old fart.

But you drive it carefully, keep up on the standard maintenance, and you shouldn't run into problems.

Welcome to the forum!